Chapter 04: forgotten promises.

" you never know how much someone affected your life until you're breaking down and crying once they're gone forever "

//3 months later//

It's been forever since Shu had last seen or heard from Valt. He called Valt a few times and FaceTimed when he had the chance, but that was it. Shu soon started to drift away from Valt and focused towards his new-and-improved Spryzen. And, to be honest, the few times Shu had actually had time to call Valt, the other didn't pick up. He instead resorted to texting which ended up with nothing. At first, the crimson eyed boy thought that maybe there was bad connection; he was wrong. Valt seems too busy to talk to an old friend. Although Shu really doesn't have the time, at least he tries. Tried. He stopped calling once he realized he must have been replaced.

///////////

Valt was busy. And by busy, he means that he never got a chance to sit down. He misses all the calls and texts from his childhood friend and love, his phone on silent mode inside his backpack. Valt is still too frantic and excited from making the Spain team and getting to travel into "unknown terrain" as Rantaro calls it. Valt forgot all about how much Shu tried to deny that he treasured the late night calls that traveled into the morning, FaceTiming until Valt's mom scolds him for staying up too late and then texting right after.

///////////

Shu snorts. 'So much about friendship,' he thinks as the albino closes his eyes and launches Legend Spryzen into the bey stadium. 'He wanted me to promise I would never forget him, when I should have asked him to not forget about me.'

Shu sighs and leaves the training area, instead opting to go to his apartment since he knows he won't be able to get the Valtryek owner out of his head.

Rummaging through his brown school bag, Shu pulls out a single silver key. He jiggles the key in the lock, opening up the apartment door. "Hello," he greets, even though he knows no one will reply. He slams the door behind him as he wiggles off his shoes and drops his bag to the floor, setting his house key in a small bowl resting on a bookshelf.

Shu raises his arms straight up, stretching his sore muscles. He flops his hands back to his side and plops down in front of the tv. He surfs through all the channels just like Valt had once done, complaining about Shu's taste in tv shows and cartoons.

He freezes, thumb hovering over the 8  button. He shakes his head vigorously. 'No, I can't think about him. I mean, he won't even call me so what's the point in being his friend if I don't even exist to him? And I'm getting over him already, ever since we kind of broke apart.'

Shu leaves the tv on some random soap opera and walks to his room, changing into a light blush pink (Wakiya and Valt had a long argument whether Shu's shirt was pink or a salmon pink. Rantaro won by saying it was blush pink) button-up short sleeved shirt that is a little too big and ends at mid-thigh, along with a pair of shorts that are just visible from beneath his long shirt.

Shu exits his room and goes back to the couch, watching trashy soap operas, which are surprisingly interesting.

'Just another dull, boring part of my life that used to be exciting and the rare times I was truly happy.'

Doubts start to ring throughout Shu's head, whispering to him about all his mistakes and making him regret it all.

'I never should have left; I could have stayed with Valt and kept up with the life I had. Then maybe I wouldn't scare the students at school because of the way I glare, push everyone away and keep being this lonely. Instead, I had to search for Spryzen and leave everyone behind, even my mom - though I doubt she noticed.' Shu glances at the clock hanging on the slightly peeling wallpaper. 'It's so lonely here...
I guess I'm just used to Valt and other people around me so I wasn't like this before....'

Tick Tock
Tick Tock

The annoying ticking of the clock rings through Shu's head, seeming to rise above the low volume of the tv.

Shu lifts his wrists and looks at them in the glowing light of the tv. Faint, white marks dance over his pale skin.

With a sigh, Shu cuddles up on the couch, hugging a pillow tightly to his chest. 'Maybe this nightmare will be over tomorrow; I will be back in Japan, back with the BeyClub, back with the old Spryzen - there isn't anything wrong with him now, though - and back to the time when I was actually worth something...

but did I really amount to anything in the first place?'