Chapter 03: heartbreak.

It's a bright and sunny day and everyone seems to enjoy the sunshine and warm weather. All except for one, of course.

Nika and Toko open Valt's bedroom door to find him laying on his stomach on his bed, head buried in the pillow and not moving at all. The curtains are closed and no lights are on.

"Umm, Valt? Are you okay?" Nika asks. She pokes her older brother and so does Toko.

"Vallltttt-"

"What?!" Valt snaps.

The two twins look at each other worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"No..." he says miserably. "Can you just leave me alone for a minute?"

The twins hesitantly back away and close the bedroom door behind them, racing down the stairs to tattle on Valt to their mom.

Meanwhile, the bluenette feels as if his heart is ripping into two. "It's not fair," he wails, "I was just about to tell him I loved him, and then Wakiya just had to interrupt! He has no idea how hard it was to try and say that! I practiced in the mirror for a week, and now Shu tells me he's leaving for America!" Valt shakes his head and screams into his pillow in frustration. "It's not fair!"

///////////

For Shu, the plane trip is long and grueling as he stares blankly out the small window. Some of the flight attendants look concerned at the boy. Shu can't really blame them, though. Who wouldn't be concerned if you saw a 14 year-old boy (Shu and Valt are both 14) leaving to America on a plane by himself?

Shu is feeling nauseas and dizzy once the plane lands and he stands, wobbling on his feet and refusing the help of the attendants carrying his luggage.

He stumbles out of the plane and wanders outside. He stares at all the lights lighting up New York City. Compared to the small city he lived in, this was so much larger and people are crossing the streets even at nighttime, bustling around.

Shu snaps out of his trance and hails a taxi. He tells the driver the address of his apartment and Shu packs his suitcase in the trunk before sliding into the backseat. The taxi flys through the streets until it stops at a packed intersection where the driver starts mumbling about all of the cars on the road, occasionally honking at someone.

Shu sighs once the taxi stops in front of a huge building. He hands some money to the taxi driver and takes his suitcase from the back. Shu enters the building and asks the front desk for directions. He soon walks up three flights of stairs - the elevator wasn't working - and arrives at his new apartment. Shu unlocks the door with his key and pushes the door open to admire his apartment. It's spacious for just one person. It opens up into the living room with a flat screen TV and an odd blue patterned couch, a small kitchen and table, a door leads to a bedroom and a bathroom connected to it.

Shu takes his shoes off and drags his suitcase to his new bedroom, throwing it onto the carpet floor. He pulls out his phone from his pocket and jumps back on his bed, the mattress sagging beneath his weight.

The white-silvery haired teen scrolls through his phone and reaches Valt's contact number.

Blue-haired cutie: are u there yet?

Shu frowns and blushes lightly at the contact name.

Albino fairy: Nika changed our contact names, didn't she?

Blue-haired cutie: yup. I'll ask Nika to change it back

Blue-haired cutie: your name is funny though

Albino fairy: how do you change it?

#One Blader: perfect.

Albino fairy: Seriously? Number One Blader?

#One Blader: yup

Albino fairy: 😒 great. Change mine

#One Blader: k

#One Blader: are you @ NYC yet?

Gandalf: yeah.

Gandalf: god damnit Valt! I'm not that old!

#One Blader: you both have white hair

Gandalf: I'm leaving now.

#One Blader: noooo

#One Blader: i'm changing it

Simba: alright.

Simba: I guess this is better than 'Gandalf'

#One Blader: 😆so what is NYC like?

Simba: I don't know. It's really late here and I feel like passing out

#One Blader: stay awake! I want to tell you something!

Simba: what?

#One Blader: i'm going to Spain! I've been scouted for the Spain team!

Shu frowns, thumbs hovering over the keyboard.

#One Blader: Shu?

Simba: that's great, Valt.

Simba: I have to go before I fall asleep. I'll text you tomorrow.

#One Blader: k 'night!

Shu turns off his phone and places it on the nightstand beside his bed. His heart is beating frantically and he feels dread in the pit of his stomach. 'I don't know why I'm feeling like this,' Shu thinks. 'Is it because Valt will make other friends, ones that are better and can replace me? Then I'll be alone. But that is my goal, right? Try to forget these feelings about him.'

Shu stares up at the ceiling fan blankly. He covers his crimson eyes with his arm.

'I don't want to be forgotten, though...'