o n e.

This is the last class until summer. That means no school; just hot weather, swimming pools, sleeping in and lots of days at the beach.

“Good afternoon class, today we will be talking about your assignment for the summer.” The whole class groaned. What school has assignments during holidays? Oh that’s right, mine does. “You will each be partnered with someone of the opposite gender; you will then be given a fake baby doll, which you will both look after. You will both have to feed this baby, change its diapers, put them to sleep and get up in the middle of the night when they start crying. This means you will be living with your partner” Mrs. Lucy then handed out dolls with baby bags full of diapers, blankets, pacifiers, bottles etc.

I looked at my doll, it actually looked quite cute compared to some other dolls. It is dressed in a little blue outfit; it has blue eyes and curly brown hair. It is obviously a boy.

Mrs. Lucy flipped over a piece of paper on her clipboard and started to read out the partners. Please be someone nice, I crossed my fingers.

“Kelly and Joel”

“Taylor and Cooper”

“Lilly and Josh”

“Ally and Luke”

I looked to my right and noticed Jai writing something in a little black notebook, he was writing my name. He suddenly noticed I was looking and covered it up. “What did you just write?” I said trying to grab it from him. “Nothing” he blushed. I tried to jump for it but ended up pushing him off his chair and falling on top of him. All eyes were now on us; I grabbed the tiny book and rolled off him. We both jumped up.

“Sophia and Jai” oh great, now we are in trouble. “Sorry Mrs. Lucy” I said sitting in my chair. She looked at me confused. “No, What I meant was, Jai is your partner.” On my right was Ally, my best friend. She was giggling like an idiot. “Mrs. Lucy paired you with Jai because of that ‘moment’ you two just had on the floor.“ she said air quoting the word moment.  I frowned. “No she didn’t and that wasn’t a ‘moment’, that was me trying to jump for a book and failed,” she winked at me. “Whatever you say” The bell rang and everyone’s babies started to cry. “Have a good summer,” Mrs. Lucy said before leaving.

Ally and I passed our baby bags to ‘the fathers’; Luke and Jai. We patted our babies on the back lightly trying to shut them up; their squeals were high pitched. As they drifted off to sleep we started to walk home. “Pack your bags then meet us at our house when you’re done.” Luke said handing the baby to Ally. “You guys take the babies because it will be easier to pack without the babies and besides you boys aren’t doing anything” Ally said handing the baby back to Luke. “Also, think of a good name for the baby why we are gone” I said walking away.

Ally and I live next door to each other so we ran home and quickly packed. When I went to tell my mum where I am going she already knew, apparently Mrs. Lucy told all the parents about the assignment before she told us. I grabbed a huge bag and put a heap of clothes, shoes, phone charger, phone, iPod and more in it along with toiletries and such. Hopefully I didn’t miss anything important. I grabbed my giant pillow and kissed my mum goodbye.  I opened my front door and saw Ally waiting for me. “My dad is going to drop us off,” she said helping me with my huge bag. I jumped in the back seat of the car and off we went to the Brooks house.

When we arrived we saw big boxes out the front of their house, we jumped out of the car and read the labels. “This one says High Chair,” I said reading it. “This one says Cot,” she said laughing. “This is baby stuff”

We knocked on the front door. Jai let us in; he was struggling with the baby. I grabbed it off him and tried to put the damn thing to sleep. He helped me carry my stuff into his room. “Bunk beds, how cute” I said sitting in the bottom one. I put the baby on the bed and let it sleep. Jai and I built a wall of pillows just incase the baby rolled off. 

We all sat around the table eating hot chips. “Have you guys thought of any names while we were gone?” I said grabbing a chip. “I was thinking Bart, you know, off the Simpsons” Jai said really excited.  “Are you joking?” I said laughing. “No. I think it’s a really good name,” I laughed even more. Is he fucking serious? Who names their child Bart? “We are not naming it Bart”

“What about Chase?” Ally said happily. “Yes” Jai and I said in unison.

Chase it is. Now all we have to do is think of a name for Ally and Luke’s baby.

They ended up choosing Rosalie, which is adorable. I didn’t think Luke really got a say in what name but he didn’t really care anyway.

“We should bring in those boxes before it starts to get too dark” Jai said walking outside. A car pulled up into the driveway. The door opened and out came a hot fucking sex god. I was practically drooling; he shut the door and ran his hands through his hair probably confused as to why there are so many boxes in his front yard. I tried to wave sexily, hoping he would think that I am very attractive. As I went to wave Jai got up behind me and scared the living daylights out of me. “What are you doing?” he whispered in my ear. “I’m just, I don’t know, what are you doing?” he laughed at me. “Beau prefers older woman” I turned around to face Jai. “I’m not interested in your brother”

“Why are you red as a beetroot then?” Jai said pinching my cheeks. “Ahh, I can hear Chase crying. I’ll go get him,” I said going inside, trying to get away from the awkward conversation.

~ Night Time ~

Jai and Luke set up all the baby stuff in the room; thank god this is a big room. There are two lots of everything. Jai and I will have to squish onto the bottom bunk and Luke and Ally will be on the top one. Our parents trust us with these boys; they know we would never ‘do’ anything with them. They are our best friends. We have known them since first grade. Well, our last sleep over was in grade 3, but nothing will change right?

Ally and I changed the babies’ diapers and then Luke and Jai fed them. We then put them in the cribs that the boys put together and jumped into our beds. I couldn’t sleep I kept tossing and turning. Practically punching jai in the face every time. Jai put his arm around me and I shivered. He snuggled up to me. He is warm and he smells so good. What am I saying? He is my best friend. You don’t say stuff like that about your best friend. Heck, I shouldn’t even be sleeping with him, but he just looks so cute when he sleeps. I want to make out with his face.

That’s it; now that’s just fucking weird, what is wrong with my head; I have to sleep on the ground. I quietly and slowly took off the blanket. “What are you doing?” Jai said rubbing his eyes. “Uh, I think it would be better if I slept on the floor.” He sat up. “Why?” I got out of the bed and made a cozy spot next to Chases crib. “Why?” he said again. “If Chase wakes up it will be easier for me to get to him.” Jai then jumps out of the bed. “I’ll do it, you have the bed, I will sleep there,” he says pointing to the small pile of blanket thing I just made. “No Its fine, seriously, you have the bed” I said pushing him over to the bed. “No, you have it, I’m the man, I can sleep on the floor” he says pretending to be all-tough like he has to sleep in the desert or something. “I am more stronger than you” I said showing him my non existing muscles. “You want to bet,” he said coming closer to me. “Your on” I said jumping on him and trying to pull him down. We started wrestling; obviously he went easy on me. I hated when guys do that, just because I’m a girl.

I felt a pillow hit my head. “Will you two quit having sex and just shut the fuck up?” Luke yelled from the top bunk. The babies then started to squeal. This is going to be a very different summer.