Back to Normal

~Hannah's POV~

Everything was back to normal in a few weeks. Winta got out of the hospital. The doctors had no explanation as to her miraculous recovery. They just called it, "One of those medical miracles."

The true miracle was that Winta was a
okay again, and that I had my best friend back.

And hopefully, it would stay that way for a long time.

~~~

When Winta was released from the hospital, we went home immediately.

Adam was so psyched that everything was "back to normal." Or about as normal as it gets around here, that he didn't sleep that night. At all.

I can say, I had trouble sleeping too. I didn't want to. At all.

So when it was 10 o' clock and everyone but Adam and I were asleep, I walked downstairs quietly, trying to make sure I didn't wake anyone else up.

Adam was sitting on the couch, watching some Harry Potter movie with the volume turned down low.

I sat down next to him.

"Which movie is this?" I whispered.

"The first one," he replied, still intent on the TV screen.

"Adam?" I asked a few minutes later.

"Yeah?" he replied.

"Are you alright? I know this has all been hard on you, and-" I began, getting cut off by him.

"I'm fine. You're the one we should be worried about," he explained.

"And why is that?" I questioned, grabbing the remote. I clicked a button, turning off the TV.

"You almost died, your best friend almost died, and your parents came out of nowhere to find you," Adam reminded me.

I shrugged. "The same thing happened to you. Except it was your daughter and sister, minus the parents," I told him.

"You got me there... but you still didn't answer my question," Adam insisted.

"I'm fine," I told him.

"Okay," Adam said.

"Where's Alesa been?" I asked, noting how she hadn't been at home since we had been going back and forth.

"She took up some late-night job at the mall. I don't really know, but it was something along those lines," Adam explained.

"Oh..." I whispered back.

"You should seriously go to bed. You'll need it for tomorrow," Adam reminded me.

"Wait, what's tomorrow?" I asked.

"Um... your birthday?" Adam said, surprised I didn't remember.

"Are you kidding me?" I strained my neck to look at the calendar on the wall of the kitchen. Sure enough, tomorrow was July 30th. My birthday.

"Oh yeah!" I facepalmed. "How did I forget?"

Adam shrugged. "Don't ask me," he laughed.

"Welp, I'm going up to bed," I said, hopping up off the couch and stretching.

"G'night," Adam said, sending me up off to my room.

~~~

When I got upstairs, I climbed under the sheets, and looked up at my turning ceiling fan. It sent a cool breeze down to me, and it helped me drift off into a comfortable sleep, the first I'd had in months.

Tomorrow, I would officially be fourteen. Wow.

What a day that would be.

~~~

I woke up to a crash in the middle of the night. I looked at my clock. 12:36 A.M.

I thought I had just imagined it, that it was just part of a dream I had. But then I heard it again.

Oh gosh, what was going on?

I threw off the covers and ran downstairs in a panic.

Oh gosh.