30: ICEBLADE

"Before we go back to Glimmerguard...there's something that you need to know," Layla murmured. She'd assembled the others in the dining room. The low hum of Meela's engine permeated the air. "You're looking for a way out, right? Escape from the Elithnir?"

"That's correct," Jaewyn replied, matter-of-factly.

"I remember this place now. I came in close by. There's a cavern near here with an elevator...must be Atlantyan construction. Goes all the way up. To the surface."

"That's a fair way, lass," Rudjrik boomed. "You sure..."

"Positive. As far as I know, most of the Atlantyan tech still works, long after they divided into the Prime Races. This is where I started my expedition. You can leave here, you should come out roughly a day's walk from Fernia, my village."

"Does your clan have riding beasts? We'll need to get back to the queen as soon as possible..."

"Shadowfangs, sure. Elbrooke City is a couple days ride straight south."

"Excellent," Jaewyn declared. Finally, they were going home. It had to have been at least a few days, she estimated. There was a problem though. If Layla was to accompany them, there'd be no-one left at Glimmerguard. She knew Aefion would volunteer, once more. But was she willing to accept his decision, again?

"There's one more thing," Layla said gloomily. "I cannot leave with you...I will be staying at Glimmerguard. I feel responsible for the temple, it's my sworn duty to guard it."

"I will also stay at Glimmerguard, if you are willing to allow me," Thalleron announced. "There is so much knowledge to be gained from the library...so much. It is a crime to leave it unattended."

"Me as well," Zephyrle chimed. "I..."

"No you're not," Jaewyn reprimanded. "You're coming back to Elbrooke with me." She rolled her eyes as Zephyrle opened her mouth to protest. "I know you like Aefion, but I need you with me when I report to the queen. I can't have my entire team abandoning me at the last minute."

"But..."

"That's an order, Zeph. Rudjrik, Layla, take us back to Glimmerguard."

"Right away, ma'am," the Valhallan roared, rising from his chair, Layla following his example. Thalleron held up a hand.

"Wait...we have a...complication concerning Meela's power supply. Uh...we're running out." There was an awkward silence. "We burned through a lot of energy back there, powering us to get here at fast speed. I'm pretty sure there is enough power left to return to Glimmerguard, but...probably not enough to backtrack all the way back here."

"That definitely throws a spanner in the works," Rudjrik grunted.

"Shit," Jaewyn cursed. That was a problem. "Your pulse talon..."

"Providing energy from the bloodfire is incredibly taxing. I don't know if I can do that again anytime soon."

"What about Aefion," she blurted out. "His pulse talon..." Then she stopped abruptly. Aefion hadn't got his pulse talon yet. "Bastik," she swore loudly. She turned to Layla. "Is there anything at Glimmerguard..."

"Not that I know of." Layla shook her head. "Maybe some of the Atlantyan devices in the library could help...but I doubt it."

She now had a choice. Report to the queen, leave the Elithnir, and leave the others to return to Glimmerguard. Or go back with them to Glimmerguard and potentially be stuck for even more time. And all the while Esmeraedyn was expecting her return. It wasn't much of a choice. It was her duty, to the Queen of the Beltharin, as Blood Maiden, to find her way back to the surface and report. A new threat had risen, brought on by the actions of a careless Antharin. The Grath were the ancient and enigmatic evil that the Atlantyans themselves had feared. She knew her duty. And knowing her brother, she was sure he would be fine. He was a survivor, he'd know what to do. Giving a little nod to herself, and taking a deep breath, she made eye contact with each of them in turn.