23: SPARK

After a good eight hours rest, Jaewyn rose from the bed and peered out the porthole window, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. A gorgeous view greeted her: a deep blue, submarine valley, filled with rocky canyons and tall, kelp trees, their leaves waving in the underwater breeze. Vents like chimneys on the ocean floor exhaled long streams of giant bubbles. Silvery fish skittered through the water like shimmering diamond shards. Large, bat-like sting rays glided serenely on vast, blue-grey wings.

It was truly another world.

Stepping away from the undersea vista, she examined the walls in the room. There was a panel that unfolded from the wall, revealing a small door. Beyond that was hidden a narrow but functional bathroom, with a mechanical shower, a washbasin and a fold out toilet. Hot water pouring over her skin was the greatest feeling, revitalizing and refreshing her, but she knew it also made her stronger. After she stepped out from beneath the energizing cascade, she toweled herself off, dressed and exited the room, wondering what Zephyrle had been up to.

"Zeph?" The thief's door was ajar, so Jaewyn entered, sliding the door closed behind her. She didn't like snooping, but she had to make sure her friend was ok. The bed was still made, unslept in. Zeph's gear was dumped unceremoniously in one corner. "Zeph, you in here?" The bathroom panel had been opened. A quick investigation revealed the shower and washbasin had been used.

There was no one here.

Reasoning that she must've got up already, she departed the passenger dorms. Passing through the cargo hold revealed the absence of the pile of crates. As she wandered up the forward corridor, she saw two ladders she hadn't seen before, leading down, one on either side of the passage. These were probably Aef and Rudjrik's quarters. The one on the right had a silk banner pushed to one side – this had probably been hiding the ladder. Snatches of conversation wafted down from the bridge.

"So...looks like we'll have to stop here, at Starstone Chamber. Stock up on glowcaps. Do some scouting 'round... could be treasure." Aef's voice.

"Hah! Always on the look out for new cargo!" Rudjrik's voice.

"Nothing wrong with a bit of salvage. Besides, the stuff we've found so far is lying around, waiting for prospecting adventurers like us to come and claim it. And we need more floryns to buy upgrades."

"Can't disagree, laddie. Once the air tanks are full up, where next?"

Jaewyn hesitated before entering. This could be interesting. Although she didn't like eavesdropping, she was sure her brother was up to something...and she had a sneaky suspicion Zephyrle was involved. Peering around the corner of the doorway, she saw Aefion in the co-pilot chair, various maps and journals spread out on the dashboard in front of him. Rudjrik was steering the craft, his gloved hands gripping a semi-circular device on a shaft attached to the underside of the control panel.

"Thinkin' a shortcut through the Darkwater Defile can probably save time..."

"It's narrow through there, lad. And no air pocket caves along the way. Bit risky..."

"I think its worth the risk. If the Atlantyans could do it..."

"By the way, lad, how'd it go last night?"

"Last night?" Aefion sounded unsure.

"Don't give me that look," the Valhallan replied jovially. "I wasn't born yesterday, son."

"So far, so good, its all very...fine."

"Just fine?" Rudjrik's voice was followed by a gruff chuckle.