Chapter Twenty One: The Untimely Death Of Vivanna Des Chanel

Status: Edited. 

“To burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves.” 

― Federico García Lorca, Blood Wedding and Yerma

"So, what do you propose we do?" Harry asked as he studied the plans that Matteo had made. It had almost been two weeks since they had sought refuge at Leon's house. Leon had later informed them that it  was actually one of his father's many mansions. He was the only one who wasn't part of the original refuge group who was conversing with her normally. Thalia refused to say anything but single words to her and Rhonda burst into tears in her presence. She couldn't handle either of their reactions and so, she just avoided them.

It's better this way, Voice Of Reason whispered and Serafina couldn't help but agree with the Voice that had gradually grown softer and softer as she hung around Leon. She'd noticed the changes she felt around him and the way her body reacted to him. She didn't understand it, but she knew that it wasn't a safe feeling for either of them.   

"I say we run," Serafina suggested. 

"Where though?" Matteo asked as he paced around the room, "We don't have a place to escape to. Unless..." Suddenly Matteo shot right up and a large grin erupted on his face. "We have a place!" he exclaimed before he ran out of the room and to his own room.

"Whoa," Rhonda murmured as she entered the room with wide eyes, "I never knew Bla- umh, er- I mean, Matteo, had a pair of legs that took him so fast." 

Harry straightened up immediately and brushed his curls away from his forehead. He sent a pleading glance to Serafina who nodded, sensing his silent message that the two needed to speak. Serafina's gaze struck Rhonda as piercing as they scanned her expression. Rhonda didn't seem to angry, but she didn't seem completely comfortable of the events that were falling into place around them.

"I'm going to go and uh...check on Thalia," Serafina said, but Rhonda sighed and called out to her before she could leave the room, "Wait." Serafina froze at the sound of her voice and waited. 

"It isn't Harry who I need to talk to," she said, "It's you." Serafina sent a bewildered glance at Harry who seemed just as perplexed as she was, before he nodded, "I take that as my leave. See you later." His gaze lingered on Rhonda who turned towards him with narrowed eyes, "And you, go to my room. We need to talk too. You're not completely off the hook." 

Harry's adam's apple bobbed as a worm of anxiety slithered into his system, but he nodded and left the room; sending a nod to Serafina who correctly predicted it as a gesture wishing her the best of luck. 

With the last step he took to leave the room, Harry had unknowingly pulled away the tranquility and allowed for tension to settle into the room. "So," Serafina began as she played with her fingers and then snapped up to meet Rhonda head on, "I understand that yo-" 

"No," Rhonda shook her head before she perched herself onto the edge of the couch, "You don't understand." Serafina swallowed the lump in her throat and studied Rhonda with narrow eyes. She didn't seem infuriated anymore, she resembled the epitome of serenity. She gazed at Serafina from beneath her eyelashes and sent her a small, gentle smile. "Sit down," she said. 

"I don't really feel lik-" 

"Sit down," Rhonda repeated with a grin and picked up the kettle that one of Leon's maids had left on the coffee table. She poured the steaming coffee out of the kettle and into a cup, before she placed the cup on a small plate and began to sip from it. Serafina watched her with apprehension before she sat down. Her eyes never left the girl as she sipped on her piping hot cup of coffee.