Chapter Thirteen: Dirty Red Lies.

“The best way of keeping a secret is to pretend there isn't one.” 

― Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin.

Vivanna gripped the railing harder and edged away from Leon, who seemed to see this as an invite to step closer.  "L-leon," Vivanna stammered, "Wh-what are you doing?" Leon pulled closer to her, a smirk playing on his pale lips. "Proving you wrong." he answered as he walked closer and closer. Vivanna moved further and further away, until her back pressed against the cool surface of the railing.  Leon was so close to her, she could feel his smoky breath fan across her face. She swallowed down her anxiety as she watched his electric blue eyes trail down to her lips and back up to her face. 

"Now, let's see how honest you truly are." 

Before Vivanna could retaliate to Leon's words she felt his lips upon hers. Her entire form froze and she waited for panic to overwhelm her senses and control her actions.

Oddly enough she felt nothing.

No unease welling up in her stomach. 

No irrational fear forced her to punch him.

Nothing.

Except for a swirl of tingles that took over her lips and made her toes curl. 

Vivanna figured that it was the bewilderment that kept her from kissing him back. Leon pulled away and smirked at her, "Looks like I proved you wrong af-"

But Leon couldn't finish his sentence because that's when Vivanna grabbed a fistful of the cloth of his t-shirt and pulled him back to her, planting her lips on his as she did so. She kissed his lips gently at first, waiting for him to respond. She pressed her body against his, coaxing him to respond to her kiss, but Leon ripped her hands away from his shirt and pulled away, staring at her with wide eyes. He touched his lips gingerly with one of his fingers before shooting her an unreadable look, turning on his heel and fleeing the room. 

Vivanna felt remorse, humiliation and rage swirl in her gut. Her heart twisted painfully in her chest.

How did she-

What had she-

Why had she-

She didn't know the answer to either, but what she did know was that she definitely felt something towards Leon.

And for the first time ever, she realized that she hadn't noticed her feelings had grown. 

Vivanna felt tears trickle down her cheeks and a sob escape her throat. Leon had somehow broken through her walls, without either of them noticing. 

Which was frankly, quite odd. 

All of her emotions seemed to have ganged up on her and unleashed their wrath. She could no longer hold back the strong urge to cry and so, she dragged herself to the empty room, fell onto the bed and let the tears fall freely. 

What had she done?

~~ 

Vivanna could practically cut the tension, lingering in Leon's car, with a knife. Leon hadn't returned last night, and she'd only found him in his car, puffing on a cigarette, after she had woken up, and found a note on the bedside cabinet-

Come to the car, it's at the repair shop.

-L

After she had washed up, she had checked herself in the mirror, and tried to cover up the bags under her eyes with concealer as much as she could. She felt tired after she'd woken up, and figured that it may have been due to the fact that she had cried herself to sleep. She couldn't understand why Leon seemed to affect her so much. She agreed that she may like him but, did she really like him that much when she barley knew anything about him?