Chapter Twenty - Six

Arriving at the Villa near the waterfront of Marbella, they were greeted by the bodyguard, who knew of their arrival and were shown inside. Shihab in his usual suit, Andie wore a bright flower-printed summer dress, her heeled sandals clicking on the white tiled floors. 

The men stayed behind in the hallway, instructed by Shihab, not wanting to put her on an alert.

They were shown to a sitting room, where Carla rose from a chair, wearing a  long flowing loose dress. Andie ran her eyes over her. She didn't look pregnant; there was no bump, by the sunlight fleeting through her dress from the full windows behind her.

 Surely by now, she would be showing. 

They walked across and stopped in front of her. Andie reached into her handbag, turning on Zahir's special gift, then shifted onto her shoulder.

Shihab placed down the photo of his mother and her best friend Norma Stephens on a coffee table near the chair, she had been using. "That's your mother," he stated without asking or questioning. 

She was the spitting image of her daughter.

Just the facts.

Carla crossed her arms, eyes cold as an Antarctic blast of wind. Andie placed a protective hand on his back. "So?"

"It was you who cut up Andie's cord and shut down her credit accounts."

"Yet they said a dark-headed woman was hanging around," Carla pointed out.

"Wig. Had to be, with a Jilbāb. I checked, and there was a short dark wig as well as Jibab in the costume department. Anyone could walk in and borrow those items. Nothing was stolen, all counted for, except for the fact a Jilbāb and a dark wig were misplaced, not found in their rightful place, dumped, as in a hurry. Correct Carla?" He challenged, eyes stormy.

Andie looked at her searching. "I don't understand why you would do that. I didn't even know you."

"You didn't even register me on the yacht, you stuck-up bitch!" She snarled, face contorted in disgust.

"Don't you dare talk to my wife like that," Shihab barked.

Something deadly and dangerous flashed through her eyes. She was quite insane. "I never wanted you, not in that way. Hashim was so easy, it was so pathetic," she jeered.

"We know that wasn't true. He wasn't interested in you either. We have talked to Hashim, and I believe him, not your wild stories, pulled out of a hat. So whose baby is it?" Andie challenged. Carla just glared at her as if she had trodden on something horrible.

"Leave this to me," Shihab suggested.

"Yeah, leave it to the man. That is the way you like it," Carla gloated. "You and your damn, stupid, romantic crap."

Shaken Andie stepped closer towards Shihab, and his protective form, feeling his strength, and very controlled anger. "That's great coming from you. At least I have my own money, without sleeping around, or blackmailing someone to give you millions."

Red fury flashed through her eyes. "You have no idea what's it like to have no one. What one has to do to survive? While you wrote sweet, sickly stories, and became someone. I have worked all my life. Had to watch my mother be left in the gutter, broken, deserted by her best friend by marrying into your family!" She pointed a shaking finger at Shihab, eyes wide, wild.

Andie glanced up at Shihab. It had always been about her mother, probably from a child. Shihab frowned. "My mother fell in love and married my father," he stated softly.

"She deserted my mother to die alone, and lonely. Her best friend left her behind and didn't look back!" She yelled, red in the face, and veins throbbing in her neck. "Someone like me could never be good enough for someone like you, because I was trash, just like my mother," she spat.