The Visit of a Company

WARNING: IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ A LOVE STORY BETWEEN GAY MEN, I SUGGEST YOU STOP BEFORE YOU START. THIS STORY WILL FOLLOW RELATIVELY CLOSE TO "THE HOBBIT", BUT OF COURSE I WILL MAKE THILBO BAGGINSHIELD REAL. IF YOU DON'T LIKE LONG STORIES, YOU PROBABLY SHOULD NOT READ THIS. THANK YOU AND ENJOY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bilbo Baggins was in utter shock. The well-to-do hobbit hadn't a clue that when Gandalf showed up that morning that by the end of the day, he'd have a hoard of dwarves in his dining room. What was worse was that they were devouring nearly every ounce of the food he had prepared for himself for supper. The room was in chaos, Gandalf simply sitting in a chair by the table, slightly scolding the dwarves who were breaking plates. Bilbo scowled and wondered how a wizard as old and wise as Gandalf himself could let such a crowd get so out of hand.

Just five minutes before, he had answered the door before he sat down for his supper. It was, surprisingly enough, a dwarf. Then, two dwarves. Then, three. Then, four. Then, too many to count. Not that counting would have done any good, considering they had already taken and started eating whatever food they could find in Mr. Baggins' pantry. The very smell of the dwarves was annoying enough, the fact that they were eating his food made it worse than Bilbo thought was possible. Perhaps he shouldn't have answered the door.

Suddenly, the hobbit was jolted out of his regretful thoughts by a knock at the door. As if on cue, everyone fell silent. Gandalf stood and walked to the door. Bilbo was about to step in front of the door to stop anyone from entering when the door swung open. Bilbo was nearly squished against the wall. The figure in the doorway stepped inside and looked around. The hobbit wriggled out from behind the door to tell off the stranger, but he stopped short; he was completely mesmerized.

The man had braided black hair as dark as the sky at midnight which was littered with strands of gray as silver as the reflection of the moon in a pool of water. His beard wrapped around his chin and mouth and was cut short at his neck. His face was hard with edges, and his eyes were judgemental and harsh. His brows were furrowed, making him look annoyed. He wore light armor, dark with silver ornaments, not unlike his hair. He stood slightly taller than the hobbit, but he seemed even taller because of his manner. The dwarf had his chest up and his shoulders back, as if in charge. Bilbo realized that the stranger must be the leader, for the other dwarves had stopped to look at the stranger, obviously with a very healthy respect.

The leader walked to the head of the table to sit down. When he was comfortable, he turned to look at Gandalf saying in a voice sounding like a low growl, "You said this place would be easy to find. I got lost. Twice." The hobbit couldn't take his eyes off the man. He was obviously the most attractive of the dwarves, strong and in control. Bilbo thought he was beautiful, but in the way a forest looks during the winter; cold, but a spark of life. He couldn't hear Gandalf's response, for he was trying to analyze the dwarf's thoughts, without much luck. His name slipped out in the conversation; Thorin. Thorin Oakenshield. Heir to the Late Thrain, King Under the Mountain.

"He's a king, huh? No pressure." thought the hobbit.

Almost as soon as he sat, Thorin stood and spoke about the upcoming adventure. Bilbo tried desperately to pay attention but he was balancing the needs of the dwarves with trying to forget the backside of the future King who he was also trying to forget. The hobbit was desperately afraid of "catching feelings" as he thought in his mind. But he couldn't like someone he just met, especially not a dwarf king, right? Bilbo shook his head and sat down. He was jolted from his thoughts by the feeling he was being watched. This feeling proved true considering the whole company was staring at him, seemingly looking for an answer. "The burglar must steal back the treasure from the dreaded Smaug the dragon. He must be good." Thorin said with his nose pointed up at Bilbo.

Bilbo nodded his head, "I should think so." Gandalf winced at this answer, and Bilbo saw his error. HE was to be the burglar. The hobbit stared at Thorin, wanting to die on the spot.

Gandalf stood up to save Bilbo's hide saying, "That he is, that he is. As fierce as a dragon in a pinch. He is the perfect addition to your company."

Thorin scoffed and said, "He looks more like a grocer than a burglar," making the hobbit squirm in his seat.

Bilbo stood up to defend himself saying, "I am NOT A GROCER!"

Thorin turned to him, surprised, but not angry. "I apologize, hobbit." Bilbo realized what he had done and immediately sat down, praying this moment would end.

Then, as if he read the hobbit's mind, the head dwarf took out a harp and the dwarves took out their instruments. Bilbo laid down on his couch at the first strum of Thorin's harp. He played with such finesse that Bilbo didn't know a dwarf could possess. As far as Bilbo could tell, the song was about a horrible tragedy that meant a lot to the head dwarf, for a tear had fallen down his cheek. The hobbit wanted nothing more than to wipe it away... wait.. no..... oh no. He pushed away his feelings once again to snuggle up against the pillow on the couch. He fell asleep to the encore of their song, praying he wouldn't dream of the dwarves and the long adventure.