Chapter 14- Day One and I'm in Trouble

Chapter 14- Day One and I’m in Trouble

I was sipping my coffee while sitting on the stair outside on the porch looking towards the woods beside the house. In my eighteen years of life, not once had I ever gone in that place. I was an outgoing person, before the incident happened, but never had I thought of entering the woods. I didn't want to risk my life in there. But right at the moment, there was a burning curiosity inside me. Wanting adventure, wanting something new, wanting to know what's inside there.

Could there be a lake in there? A river? I wanted to know. But it was just so hard to go for it when a huge part of me was scared, too scared to do anything alone.

If only my brother's still here.

*Flashback*

I woke up too early, heard the day before that they're all leaving before seven o'clock. So I made sure to wake up earlier than usual. I took a quick shower and wore a black sweatpants and yellow loose shirt. I was facing the mirror when suddenly yesterday's event flashed in my head again. I tried to erase it right away though.

I didn't know why the heck I panicked. I didn't know why I felt that way towards the guy. But as far as I could remember, that was the first time that I went out alone in public, aside from school, after the incident happened.

Well, I should do something about it. I can't stay like this always. I heaved a sigh.

After combing my hair, I went out and found the house dead silent. I entered the kitchen and saw at the wall clock that it was only 5:05am.

Maybe they're already preparing in their rooms.

I quickly took out all the ingredients that I needed in making pancakes and placed them on our polished wooden kitchen counter and took out bacon, ham and eggs from the fridge too.

I smiled to myself.

Cooking time!

...

I heard rushing footsteps going downstairs. I flicked my eyes towards the wall clock and saw that it was already 6:20am. My eyes widen a bit. Well, I did manage to cook it all! With the fastest speed I had, I prepared everything on the kitchen counter and prepared each of us plates and fork.

"Hun, let's just buy food on the way to the airport. I already called for a cab. It shall be here in a while. I still have to arrange these files and give a call to the office." my mom rushed, her heels clicking on our polished wooden stairs.

My smile faltered. They were not eating here. I bit my lower lip and nodded to myself while I looked at the food that I prepared.

It's alright. I could eat this all anyway. I tried to lighten up myself, though deep inside, I felt my heart sinking. I sighed and walked towards the entrance of the kitchen with my head flexed. I suddenly bumped to someone.

I stumbled backwards but caught myself before I fall.

When I looked up, I saw that it was mom, holding bunch of papers in her arms.

Her eyes fluttered as she sniffed the air. When she looked towards the kitchen counter, her eyes lit up and all the stress there seemed to vanish away.

"You prepared all these?" She asked me.

"Uh-Yeah?" my answer sounded more like a question. It's just rare that I cook. So it was a bit surprising seeing I was the one who prepared breakfast because usually, it would be mom.

"Wow." she said, smiling at me. "Good morning" she leaned forward and kissed my forehead.

Then, she walked out of the kitchen and yelled for dad to come. I simply stood there, my brows creased. When dad came into the kitchen and saw what I prepared for us, he spoke, smiling.