Twenty-Eight

Cade's POV – Fifty-Nine days Remaining

The library is the most foreign place for me but it is the one place I feel confident I'd find Kaia in. She's not at her usual spot in the cafeteria or at the courtyard with Vi. I found Vi with Kieran in the cafeteria and she doesn't know where Kaia is. It's strange seeing Vi without Kaia – it's like they are inseparable these days. Vi used to be a nobody and she hated sitting with people. When I sat with her one class last year, she squirmed at the very sight of me. She wouldn't look at me and she would let her hair cover her face. I could tell she was scared of me or she was too shy to be friendly. Whatever it was, it's weird seeing this type of Vi who is comfortably talking to Kieran. But yet, she doesn't know where Kaia is. What type of friend is she for not knowing where her own friend is? I look down every aisle at the library but only stumble upon bookworms.

I didn't know that there were this many person at the library during lunch. I guess it's quiet and no one is really supposed to talk here. I should make this my next sleeping spot. Probably in the corner where no one would ever go. In the non-fiction section. Before searching every corner of the library, I leave immediately. I finally finished all my assignments and now I have nothing left to do. Why did I put so much effort into these assignments? I just need to date her for one hundred days and then I'm done. Now, I realised I haven't seen Kaia for almost two weeks except for in class. We barely talk anymore and to be honest, I'm liking it that way. I speak to Kieran more frequently, but to be honest, it really is weird having people talk to you and enjoy talking without insulting each other.

I didn't expect that's what I'd get out of it when I date Kaia. I feel comfortable talking to them but I feel out of place at the same time. I don't like trying when I'm around Kaia, but I guess it's all part of the job.

"Hey, Cade!" I hear. I turn to see one of Ashton's football friends. I roll my eyes and keep walking. "Cade, wait up, man!" he calls again. He jogs to me and walks in pace with me. I groan at the sight of him.

"What?" I say in a monotone.

"Where's your girlfriend?" he asks.

"Why do you care?" I ask.

"I have something to ask her," he says, with the ugliest smile.

"So, look for her," he states as if it is the most obvious answer. Mike walks in pace with me. What does he want? Mike and I barely had a conversation before or actually talked civilised. Our comments to each other mostly regard what we don't like about the other.

He is a pushover who doesn't have any opinions. Always following his one friend thinking he's Gandhi of High School, but, Ashton is nowhere being an activist like him. Rather, Ashton is the one Gandhi fought against. Mike is one knucklehead who can't think for himself. In return, Mike calls me... not much, except that no one likes me, just like how Vivian would say. I don't think Mike ever came up with something original.

"I am – tell me where she is," he says.

"I don't know where she is," I state.

Mike chuckles, "You don't know where your own girlfriend is?" he asks, amused as if it is the most unbelievable thing.

"I don't have a tracking device on her, sorry that I'm not possessive and a stalker like you," I reply.

"Do you even know where she's been for the past two weeks? Surprisingly, I never see you two together," Mike states as if he means something else. I frown and look at him more quizzically.

"What are you implying?"

"Did you two break up?" he asks.

Is he kidding? "We're only dating, doesn't mean we have to be glued together every second of the day," I inform him.