Chapter Fifty-Five

June was thrown back against the wall, then dragged onto the ground before she could react. The cold, undead body of a vampire jumped onto her, clawing away at anything he could find. She tried hitting him, but he moved fast and barely even registered her blows. The same for her kicks. He grabbed her shoulders, pinning her down to the floor, and bend over to rip her throat out—her final blow hit him right on the chin, and he toppled over her.

          She jumped up to see Terrance on the ground too, with an attacker on top of him, and Maya was struggling to hold off the six vampires with her magic; she could not hold that up for long. She wanted to help her, but someone cut her off, snarling at her. She growled and showed her teeth. He laughed. She attacked.

          She missed.

          Quickly, he dodged her fist and grabbed her arm before she could recover, twisting it. He wanted to break it, but before he could, she kicked backwards, hitting him in the groin. What would have been a devastating blow to any human male was nothing to a vampire though; he only staggered back from the force and came back immediately. June turned around to fight him-

          Suddenly, another vampire hit her, his sharp nails digging into her cheek. Before she got a chance to recover, he grabbed her neck and put one of his feet in her popliteal, forcing her down to the ground again. Something hard connected with her face with such force that it threw back her head and broke her nose, and she closed her eyes and tried with her hands to stop the bleeding, the agonizing pain numbing her brain. She barely registered how someone grabbed her jaws, pulling her up from the ground.

          She opened her eyes again and saw a pale man with dark eyes, smiling as he threatened to crush the bones of her jaw. She wanted to fight back, but someone else was holding her arms. She watched how the vampire raised his arm, clenching his fingers into a fist and—he suddenly let go of her as his eyes lost their focus. He fell down to the floor, his back showing a large cut with hissing burns.

          Behind him stood Marc, his sword was hissing where the holy water on the metal had burned the vampire.

          Quickly, the soldier swung the weapon over her head, hitting the other vampire that had been holding her arms—she felt the release immediately, and fell onto her savior.

          “Hi June,” he grunted. “We’re here to save you.”

          Left of her, three mercenaries jumped the six vampires that had been attacking Maya; with their swords they violently started hacking and slashing at the unarmed troop. The undead fought them, but it was not of much use; whenever one got close, their limbs would get hacked off. They did not quit, but it was obvious the burning holy water on the swords was more effective then June’s punches.

          When they lay on the ground though, moaning and groaning of pain, the mercenaries looked down, satisfied with their handiwork. June quickly took Maya, who seemed unharmed, and turned her away from the dead bodies that were getting decapitated.

          They helped Terrance up, he was still unsteady at his feet. “Wh-What happened?” he asked.

          “Marc,” June said. “He came to save us.”

          “Finally.” Somehow, he managed to kick the body of the vampire that had attacked him—it wasn’t dead yet and groaned. June stared at it in surprise.

          “H-How did you…?”

          He grinned and held up his hand; in it, he held the golden chain of the crucifix June had lost. “Pushed the thing in his throat—vamps don’t like that very much… I found it in the grass, not too long after we discovered you were gone. Thought it would come in handy.”