Chapter Forty-Three

A short one.

Enjoy.

-=-=-=-

          A shrouded woman misted through the window, into the room. At the other side, a man was leaning over a table, lost in thought. He didn’t move when she took form, did not notice her, and she took a moment to watch him. He was dressed in all of his glory, his white armor and red cape, but she wasn’t impressed. After all, she had lived a long time, and had seen more than a few men like him.

          Slowly, she raised one foot and tapped it on the hard stone floor, to announce her presence.

          He didn’t turn, only gave a slight shrug. “I said not to disturb me unless he is caught,” he said, angrily. “Leave me alone, I’m busy.”

          “Sir,” said Joanne Vixen—that did catch his attention, and now, he turned around with a little effort; it appeared he was limping with one leg.

          “What the… Who are you? How did you get here? You’re not one of the servants.”

          That was a good observation. She was wearing one of her best dresses, one that not even some queens could afford, never mind servants. Also, her tail hinted she wasn’t of the castle staff.

          He drew his sword; the silver glistened in the light of the afternoon. “Tell me who you are, or I’ll cut your head off!”

          “You would not recognize my name, even when I spoke it,” she said simply. “I, however, know who you are. The Royal Mage, protector of Wealthorn. You are quite famous…”

          The Mage stepped towards her, ready to kill this intruder. Something made him hesitate though; perhaps it was because he had no idea how she got into his quarters, or the fact that she did not show even the slightest hint of fear for him.

          “Do you seek death, demon? Why have you come here?”

          She smiled. “I seek death for some. Torture for others. As for you, I think you do not deserve either of those—but instead, a reward for your troubles, that relentless pursuit of Terrance Longeway.”

          At hearing the name, he lowered his sword. “What are you talking about?”

          “I know he escaped your prison and, as an added insult, broke into your private quarters and stole your daughter. He escaped through the secret tunnels that run through this castle.”

          “Is that how you got in?”

          She didn’t answer the question and continued, uninterrupted, “By now, he has also passed your city guards and has fled Dew. It shall be a long time before he will return here, and it is not likely you will catch him again anytime soon… but I know where he is headed.”

          “You do?” he asked eagerly, but then remembered he was talking to some kind of demon. “And what do you want in return for that information? My soul?”

          “Hardly. I have no use for your soul, Mage. But my superiors have decided Terrance to be a liability, and they wish to be rid of them. You can do that, can you not?”

          “Yes. If you tell me where he is…”

          “I shan’t. At times, you have proven to be incapable of properly disposing of him. Therefore, my men shall lure him to your palace in Broadlakes, where you can devise an ambush.”

          “Lure him? How?”

          Joanne’s voice dropped from amused to bitter. “There is a… girl, he has taken liking to. I suspect that he will attempt to save her if she is taken to your home. He is already protective of her… My men shall bring her to the Magic Wing of your palace, and you can make preparations. If all’s right, Terrance will follow within a few days. You can kill him then.”

          “There’s still things I need from him.”

          “He travels with Maya, if you catch him you shall have her. As for the treasure he once stored in this city, the vault has been emptied. Terrance took it with him when he left. So that too, will be in your possession when you kill him. Call it… payment.”

          “I’m not some mercenary that works for whoever offers him a job,” the Royal Mage said.

          “I do not care about pretences, tell yourself whatever you want,” she said. “As long as you prepare your ambush, we will deliver Terrance to you on a silver platter. Just make sure he’ll be dead at the end of the day.”

          The Mage nodded. “And that girl you use as bait?”

          Joanne shrugged. “Do as you like with her. She is a werewolf as well—I am sure you can think of something… Now, I must go. Leave for your palace in Broadlakes with your fastest horse. I shall join you there.”

          She turned around and with a quick wave of her hand and a muttered spell, she disappeared out of the room, leaving the Royal Mage alone with his thoughts of revenge. She reappeared in the Second Castle of Dew, in the exact mirror of the room she had left. The difference though, was grand. Whereas the Mage’s quarters were filled with furniture, beautiful tapestries and books and scrolls, this place was empty. Layer upon layer of dust lay on the floor.

          She walked away, but as she did, she heard a sound—quickly, she turned around to the shadow in the corner of the room. He had barely moved, but it had been enough to warn the Immortal Fox. Her hands flashed with magic and she growled. The shadow stepped into the light, and she recognized him.

          “We have been waiting for your return,” said Mr. Evangely. “Have you done as we told you?”

          “Yes,” she snarled. “I have been your good little messenger to tell that Mage he should expect the girl to be brought to him. He will be leaving for Broadlakes shortly, and I will follow him. I’ll set up shop in the palace, to make sure that nothing will go wrong.”

          “And what did you tell him about Longeway?”

          “He’ll follow in her wake, like a knight in shining armor, to save her. I told him to make sure that Terrance will not get her, but get killed instead. Serves him right.”

          For a moment, Mr. Evangely did not say anything; the bitter hate on Joanne’s face was surprising, even to him. Then, he nodded.

          “We never said that Longeway should die; he might still serve a purpose, even as a wild card. But... we can live with this loss. His contract would run out this summer anyway; he has postponed the reaping of his soul for enough years, it is time that he pay his due.”

          “Anything else you want to question me about?” Joanne asked angrily.

          “Yes. Have you made clear the girl is important? She should not be harmed in any way.”

          “Of course. Nothing will happen to dear June.” She gave a last snarl, then turned her back to the Devil’s Legate and walked away.

-=-=-=-

Well, I'm off to write some more. Terrance, June and Maya in next chapter :).

-VdC