Chapter Thirty-Nine

Hmm, third chapter to upload in one day? It must be November... no it's not! It's Camp! :D

I know I am getting distracted from all directions, but I try to stay  on target. 5000 words, I want to write today. Right now, I have 4631. So 369 to go--that's not too hard, considering it's just 4 o'clock right now.

Anyway, what do you think of this chapter?

-=-=-=-

          As they reached the end of the castle and continued on through the corridors under the city, they were joined by three vampires who had been waiting for them. “Miss Vixen is getting impatient,” they told Blake.

          “I know she gets impatient,” he said. “But right now, there isn’t much to do about that. So just help us get him to the Court, will you?” He gestured at Terrance; although he had not said a word, it was quite apparent that he was having trouble keeping up with the others. June still wasn’t sure about how hurt he was, but it looked bad, and from time to time, he staggered and she feared he would fall down. He kept smearing the blood from his ear into his hair and whenever he touched his burns, he would quickly jerk his hand back again.

          She wasn’t sure how he ever could have escaped the Royal Mage when he was this hurt, but eventually, he filled her in on the blanks; he had broken into the chambers where Maya and he slept and he had tried to steal her without him noticing. That didn’t work—the Mage woke up and he attacked Terrance, who barely managed to defend himself with a sword  he had grabbed. It was then that part of his ear got cut off, and it would have been more if Maya hadn’t intervened and used magic to bring down a chandelier on top of the Mage.

          “Wait, is he dead?” June asked, surprised.

          Terrance barely managed a chuckle. “Roy does not die from a chandelier—trust me. Men that kill dragons rarely die from falling ornaments… he’ll be back.”

          “And how did you get those burns?” She gestured at his chest and arm.

          “I.. ehm…”

          Maya tugged at June’s hair and got closer. “That’s from Roy,” she whispered in her ear. “My mommy did not like him, so she cursed him. If he touches, he burns.”

          She stared at Terrance, to see if she was telling the truth. He sighed, then nodded. “There was a little… problem between Maya’s mother and Roy, as you may have gathered. He burned her on a stake, and she cursed him. Now, whenever he touches anything unholy—werewolves, vampires, me—they burn, both Roy and the one he is touching. Sort of like a crucifix. That is why he always wears those gloves.”

          “C-Can that really… Can that happen?” June asked, shuddering at the thought of not being able to touch things without getting burned.

          “It’s some kind of curse Hera used. I don’t know everything about it—she was far more experienced on the subject of bloodmagic, but basically, she made Roy holy. So holy that, just like a crucifix or holy water or other objects like those, he burns anything unholy. It’s not… it’s not really a fun curse, but then again, curses never are. And he deserved it too; after all, it was him that killed her.”

          “Yes but-”

          She was silenced by both Maya that nudged her and Blake, who suddenly raised his hand to order everyone to stop; more vampires joined the group as they reached the grounds of the Vampire Court, surrounding them and taking them in formation up to the higher levels.