Chapter 12: All God Things

The morning light seeped through the windows by the fireplace and gave the small cottage a fresh feeling. Mystic was still asleep in my arms, I stared at her relaxed face, her smooth caramel toned cheek leading to her pinkish lips. Just the fact that I was able to make her happy for just one night encased the most amazing feeling in me. My mind played over last night’s actions and I clearly remembered every touch, every embrace, every kiss, every quiet moan. I could have stayed like that forever.  My nose brushed along her hair and I kissed her naked shoulder. 

I found my finger caressing her face, strolling down her cheek and stop at her chin. Where had these deep feelings come from for this girl? Had it really taken me just a couple days to fall in love with Mystic? In the beginning it was lust that made me want her, now it's everything else. Aside from her beauty, I have never seen a more vulnerable and broken person. I needed to help in any way I possibly could and I was happy.

No.

Grateful, that I got the chance to prove that to her last night. I removed my hand as she adjusted herself closer to me, her head pressed against my chest and her hand sat on my stomach. 

 My mind trails back to nights with Kelse. She seemed to restrain herself from defining the relationship, probably doubting that I would stay with her. She begged for sex but saw little to it that I kissed her or did anything relationship like. What I have found with Mystic makes me wonder exactly what Kelse and I really were? I erased Kelse out of my head. She didn't deserve a break up but I didn't think I could be with her anymore. I did care for Kelse, much more than I gave myself credit for as I often found myself wondering how she is. If she took out the garbage on time. I was often the one to remind her on Wednesday mornings. My mind fogs and I realize, for the first time, where I am, what I am doing here, and who I am with. 

I am in the middle nowhere, running away with a girl who has killed at least five men in the course of eight months. The sad part of this story is that I gave up caring about two days ago. What ever happened at the end of this, we would handle together. I refuse to leave her here, depressed, lonely and unprotected. 

"What are you thinking about?" I hear her soothing voice before looking down and seeing her eyes set on my face. 

"How long have you been awake?" I ask puzzled. "About two minutes. You've been staring blankly at the wall the whole time." I catch a sound of disappointment in her voice and wonder where it's coming from. She should be happy right now. I wanted to wake up to a smile. She pins her eyes to a spot on the bed.

"I was thinking about last night." My voice sounds distant to my ears. She sits up so she can get a good look at my face. I meet her eyes and smile. I see almost an immediate reaction stir in her pupils and she turns her gaze to a spot on the bed, clearly not used to the amount of affection she was getting. 

 "Are you hungry?"

 She hides a smile as her confident mask goes up, almost shutting me out, like a metal door. I laugh and roll my eyes before answering.

"No. Not yet. You can just relax this morning, maybe I'll make breakfast." I didn't know why I offered. I found myself wanting to make her happy. I couldn't stop after just one success.

 She turned her head, her lips so close to mine. Without even thinking about it, I kiss her, sweet and gentle, revealing a broken shield. Did she honestly think she could lock me out, that easily after last night? She ends the kiss but her lips are still parted. I whisper against them. "You don't have to put on an act for me." I kiss her again, the heat from her mouth welcoming and sweet. She nods in response, agreeing to my statement.  

 I wanted to know more about her. Hell, I wanted to know everything about her.

"What's your ethnicity?" I asked with a smile on my face. She got up from the bed and pulled a sheet with her. Mystic's breasts still printed out through the thin white fabric and I think she heard me sigh.