Chapter 7: Escape

Thank you for all the support with the votes and comments! I enjoy reading them and I am very glad you like the story. (:

_____________________________________________________________

It wasn't long before I arrived on a street filled with old run down warehouses. Only one of them had all the lights on. It looked about 5 stories. Why would she be here?

I walked up the front steps and knocked on the door. A young girl cracked the door to look at me and a smell of liquor, pot and sex swam out of the building. I cleared my throat to keep from coughing at the horrible stench. How could anyone bare to live in this place?

The girl wasn't much older than me. She had a mousy type look and tiny eyes that drooped, probably because she was high. She was wearing some laced pink outfit with dirty ripped jeans and her eyeliner was somehow melting on her face. She looked like a beaten down prostitute.  

Was this a whore house?

"What?" She asked sourly.

"I'm looking for someone, mind if I come in?" I asked as calm as I could. My hands were shaking uncontrollably. I kept thinking Vulture's guy was right behind me. Like he would show up and stab a knife through my neck, or just spot me from afar and shoot out my brains.

What was I getting myself into? 

She looked at me slightly confused then inched the door close to the lock. She did not close it all the way, seeming to feel more secure when she could only see my eyeball through the small crack. 

"Who are you looking for exactly?" She asked. I searched my mind quickly for a name but I could not find any. The girl never told me her name. I sighed and looked about the street hoping the guy wouldn't get here before she decided to let me in. 

"Look, I'm not here to cause any harm, someone is out to get a girl in here, I'm just trying to protect her." She stared at me frightened. "Please, just let me see if she is in here. If she is not, I will leave. If she is,  I'll warn her and then you can lock me out again." The mousy girl glanced behind her and then pulled me in by the arm. She closed the lock on the door and sauntered in to a dark room that had the glare of a TV. 

Though it took some negotiating, I was glad she decided to let me in. Most of all, I was glad that I got here before Vulture's guy.

I walked through the halls of the place looking in each room. Dozens of girls sitting around, playing games, drinking and smoking. I even saw a group of girls at a table snorting a white substance displaced in white lines on the table. My stomach turned as I thought about the beautiful girl I had come in contact with, just a couple months ago.

 Was she an addict?

 Even if she wasn't, she was probably a part of some illegal thing. How else would she get so mixed up in the streets. I didn't know her story. I knew nothing about her and that is why I so desperately needed to find her, to talk to her even. The reason I was keeping her safe was more than just lust and perversion. There was something about that girl that didn't seem dangerous at all.

I briefly clamped my fingers over my nose and began breathing through my mouth. The smell was so bad. I began to cough, all the girls in the rooms on both sides of the hallway turned to look at me. I continued breathing through my nose, seeing that the horrible air coming in to my mouth was worse. Like any other congress man's son, I began to get afraid that the wretched scent would stick to my clothes. I walked farther down the hallway to the last room. I told myself that if she was not in here, then I would just check the second and probably third floor before leaving.