Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

My knee bounced nervously as I watched Dr. Beagly's pen glide across the paper. I had been here for twenty minutes and I could barely concentrate.

Every time he asked me if anything strange has happened recently, I dodged the question. I made up my mind before that I wasn't going to mention the tree or the dream. However, I did tell him that I saw the Shadow yesterday. That was as far as I was going. It wasn't that I didn't trust Dr. Beagly, I just knew he wouldn't understand. He would brush it off as an accident and a strange dream due to something I ate. And as much as I wanted to believe that, I couldn't. I couldn't seem to accept that it was accidental or "just a dream". I wanted to. But I couldn't.

When I woke up this morning, my head and stomach felt fine. Brady came by like he said he would and we rode to school together. Jake wasn't there sadly. I found myself wanting to talk to him, even though I didn't know what to say.

"Are you feeling okay Lila?" Dr. Beagly eyed me curiously. I gulped.

I hated lying. I always tried to avoid lying to people because I always felt guilty afterwards.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just a little tired," I avoided eye contact, somehow knowing he'd be able to tell I was lying.

He looked unsure. "Well," he glanced over at the clock. "I guess we could cut your session short today if that's what you want."

I nodded and smiled a little.

"Are you sure you're okay? You can talk to me Lila," he said sincerely.

I looked at my hands and played with my fingers absently. "I know. I'm fine I promise," I almost whispered.

I stood up and walked to the door, swinging it open. I almost ran down the hallway. I kept my head down, biting my lip as I walked speedily towards the door.

Not watching where I was going, I ran straight into something hard. I stumbled back slightly and looked up, ready to apologize, but the words froze slightly in my throat.

Jake looked as handsome as ever. He stood so close that I could see every line and feature of his face. His dark hair was dripping from the rain outside and hanging over his forehead. I took a cautious step back.

"Sorry," I mumbled and tried to hide the fact that I had just stared at him.

He didn't say anything. He gave a short nod and looked at me curiously. "What are you doing here?" The question was harmless, but his eyes flashed as he said it.

"I.. Um.. I just," I rubbed the back of my neck and looked at my feet. I couldn't tell him. This was something that you couldn't tell people.

We stayed there in silence for a few minutes before I looked back up at him.

"What are you doing here," I asked slowly.

He raised his eyebrow, but chose to ignore my change in subject. "I'm here to see an old friend," he said quietly.

I nodded awkwardly. I couldn't think of anything to say. I was about to turn and walk away, but I heard him clear his throat.

"Got any exciting plans this Friday evening?" He seemed uninterested in my plans. I figured he was just being polite.

"Nope. Unless you count watching reruns of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air and eating junk food and pizza exciting plans," I shrugged.

He chuckled. "Sounds exciting to me." He shuffled his feet slightly and breathed in deeply. "I should get going," he sounded tired.