Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

As I was leaving the math classroom, I heard someone call my name and I turned. Jake was standing there looking slightly irritated.

I hadn't talked to him since our last tutoring session. He never gave a smile back or even looked at me.

"Uh yes?" I answered. He blinked and gave me a blank stare.

"I need more help for math," he stated plainly.

"Oh... I'm sorry Jake I can't today. I have a date," I said it quietly, the thought brought a small smile on my face and I looked down.

Jake didn't answer. I could feel his eyes on me and I lifted my eyes up to meet his. His expression made me want to run. He looked furious.

His jaw was clenched and his eyes were blazing as he sized me up. "With who?" He emphasized each word.

I didn't answer him right away. My mouth was hanging open. I closed it, then opened it again, trying to say something. Anything. "B-B-Brady," my voice shook.

I could feel his anger intensifying. His eyes darkened. I backed up, towards the door. His lips turned down in a deep scowl at something behind me.

I turned and saw Brady, with the same expression as Jake. There was tension in the air between the boys and I was caught in the middle.

I muttered an apology. For what? I don't know. I turned on my heel, keeping my head lowered and scurried down the hallway. I ended up running into the bathroom and I leaned against the sink, taking deep breaths and looked in the mirror. My glasses had fallen down my nose slightly and my hair looked messy and unkempt.

I let out a long sigh and ran my hands through my hair. I felt confused and scared. I didn't know why both of them seemed so angry with me. I wanted to know what I did wrong. I wanted to fix it. But then again, I was scared to talk to either of them. Well maybe not so much Brady, but Jake, yes.

After staying a little longer, I left for English. I looked in through the door window and saw a substitute sitting at the front reading a book. I opened the door quietly and slipped into my seat. All the students were chatting happily.

I didn't look at Brady, but I knew he was looking at me.

"Lila?" He spoke softly. I closed my eyes for a minute before opening them and turning my head towards Brady. "You ran off earlier.. Sorry about that," he rubbed the back of his neck.

"What did I do wrong?" I asked quickly, without thinking. I clamped my mouth shut and looked down.

Brady looked slightly taken back. "Lila, you didn't do anything wrong," he told me.

"Then why is he mad at me?" My voice was barely above a whisper. I felt guilty. I never meant to anger Jake. I would've agreed to tutor him if I didn't have other plans.

Brady's face hardened slightly and he looked at his desk. He didn't speak for awhile, making me anxious. When he finally did speak, his voice was cold. "Trust me Lila, it's nothing you did. It's his own fault."

My eyebrows furrowed. What did Jake do? The question made my mind wonder. I barely heard Brady speaking.

"Uh, Lila?" I blinked and hummed in response to let him know I was listening. "I was just asking if we're still on for after school," he looked at me with a hopeful expression.

I nodded and smiled. "Of course."

He pretended to wipe sweat off of his forehead. "Oh good."

I giggled. "So what exactly are we supposed to be doing," I eyed all the students goofing off.