Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

I stared out the window while nibbling the piece of pizza cautiously. I could hear Jake pacing in the other room and imagined his muscled arms drawn behind his back, hands clasped.

I shook my head fiercely, forcing the image out of my head. It had been about ten minutes since I got here and I was constantly on edge. The apartment was on the top floor of the building and had two bedrooms. The wall was painted a light turquoise and the furniture was black and white with hints of red splashed throughout the apartment.

The kitchen was fairly large and there were two bathrooms. Altogether, it was a very nice apartment. I was in Brady's room which was covered in small posters of bands and TV shows like Fall Out Boy and The Walking Dead.

There were clothes littering the floor and there was a small blue trash can in the corner that was overflowing. The bed was covered in a white bedspread with a small quilt at the end that was checkered blue and yellow.

I was seated at the small white desk he had sitting next to the window. There were papers scattered all over the top, but I just ignored them and kept my plate on my lap, not wanting to disturb his room.

My plan was to hide in here until Brady gets back, but I could tell that Jake was getting impatient. As much as I wanted to avoid him, I wanted answers more.

I ate faster and brushed the grease off of my hands with the small napkin Jake gave me. I got up shakily and kept one hand on the wall to help me walk.

The pain was taking over and I stopped in the doorway. I bent over, almost dropping the plate.

"Lila? Here, let me help."

Jake's arm wrapped around me and I leaned against him gratefully, momentarily forgetting my fear of him. I limped towards the couch with Jake's help, and sunk into it.

Jake took the plate out of my hands and rinsed it off in the sink. He wiped the water off of his hands on his dark jeans and sat on the chair in front of me.

He leaned forward slightly, shadows lining his features, making them sharper. Brushing his hair off of his forehead, he looked at me grimly.

He sat in silence, before taking a deep breath. "We need to talk," he stated simply.

I almost laughed, but instead I simply nodded. I pushed my glasses further up on my nose and brushed my bangs out of my face. I didn't know what to expect. The whole scenario was bizarre already.

Jake was watching me closely with narrowed eyes. I shifted uncomfortably and bowed my head slightly. I felt insecure as usual. I noticed that my curly hair was starting to puff out like Hermione Granger's hair in the first Harry Potter movie. My glasses seemed to grow larger the more I thought about them and I started thinking of everything wrong with myself. I did this often, but around Jake, it seemed to become worse.

With him looking at me, I felt like I was just positively ugly.

"Why do you always hide your face like that?" Jake suddenly asked.

I was taken by surprise. "I-I..." I trailed off, bowing my head even more so I could no longer see him.

I closed my eyes and clenched my jaw. I suddenly wished I were someone else. Someone beautiful.

I felt a gentle hand tilting my chin up, and opened my eyes to meet Jake's dark ones.

"You don't need to hide Lila." His voice was soft. Suddenly, his face hardened and he pulled away, clenching his hand into a fist.

He turned to sit down and the muscles in his back and shoulders were all tensed.

"You know what? Daniels can explain it to you. I don't want to waste my time," he spat. Instead of sitting, he made his way to the kitchen.