Prologue

Prologue:

She stood in front of me with her hands by her side. Her hair was billowing behind her like a cape. I knew she couldn't see me, but the fact that her eyes were meeting mine made me nervous.

I knew what she was really staring at. The group of girls leaving her behind, laughing the whole way.

The sun was making a small glare on her glasses making it almost impossible to see her beautiful brown eyes. I didn't have to see her eyes to know they were filled with tears of hurt and betrayal.

There was nothing I wanted more than to wrap my arms around her small, frail body and stroke her soft, curly brown hair comfortingly. But I couldn't.

The thought made my fists clench. Watching her go through so much pain everyday and not being able to do anything about it was killing me slowly inside.

I reached out to her mind and felt it swirl around me. I smiled slightly as I felt all the things at once that made me love her. Her pure innocence and love for everyone around her. Her thoughts were never filled with anger or hate. Just love and kindness. She was the polar opposite of me and maybe that's why I couldn't stay away.

I frowned instantly as I felt her thoughts turn to sorrow, confusion, and guilt. Although she did nothing wrong, she still felt guilty. But that's just how she is. Sometimes it frustrated me to no end, seeing her beat herself up about nothing.

A tear escaped her eye and slowly made it's way down her bright cheeks. I reached out and cupped her cheek softly, but I knew she couldn't feel it. Her eyes closed slowly as more tears came.

I tried to tell her that it was going to be okay, but she didn't hear a thing. The more I tried, the angrier I got. Alynn had warned me about falling in love with a human. But I never would've guessed that it hurt this much. Falling for her wasn't my plan. My kind didn't belong with hers.

Even though I always told myself this, I never accepted it the way I should.

I removed my hand from her cheek and she bowed her head. She turned slowly and trudged down the hill. I didn't follow, but simply watched her small retreating figure.

I heard a familiar melodic sound of beating wings coming towards me. I turned to face my closest friend, Alynn. Her long blonde hair settled around her shoulders as she landed next to me.

Her wings were a sparkling white in contrast to my midnight black ones. She tucked her wings behind her and gave me a sad smile. I looked away and frowned deeply.

"You shouldn't be here." My voice was cold. She shook her head slowly.

"I had to make sure you were alright." Her voice was soft and melodious as usual.

I glanced at her and wondered how we even became friends. Technically, our friendship wasn't allowed. We were on completely different a sides. Fighting for different causes and hers was much more meaningful than mine.

"I'm fine Alynn." I snapped. I hated to use a harsh tone with her, but she couldn't be here. We could be seen. Her eyes were burning into the side of my head.

"I warned you Damien. I tried to stop this from happening," her tone was gentle and kind, but also laced with sympathy.

I clenched my fists angrily. I didn't usually get mad at Alynn, but my temper couldn't be controlled.

"You think I meant for this to happen?" I spoke in a calm, but fierce voice. I turned to her, sending daggers. She looked shocked. "You think I wanted this? Because trust me, I didn't. I've been trying to put my feelings aside from the first day I felt them. Do you think it's worked? It hasn't," I spat at her.