1 | The First Chapter

The First Chapter - The Look Of Someone Who Has Something To Hide.

.

.

.

The first thing I did when I settled into my new apartment with my mum was get changed into my stripy red and white bathers and head downstairs to the pool. It was gorgeous down there; the entire pool was surrounded in soft, creamy pavements, and around that, bright green grass that looked perfect for a little soccer practice.

I put my phone and my towel on a nearby pool chair and went to dip my toes in, testing the water. My tanned skin stood out against the crystal blue water, and I grinned before backing up slowly and running forward, making a clumsy dive into the water. As I resurfaced, I blew a fountain of water out of my mouth and leaned backwards, floating on my back. My wavy white hair straightened in the water and spread out around my head like an angelic halo. I closed my blue eyes against the light of the sun and mustered a smile on my face. I hadn't been this relaxed in a long time.

I stayed in the water for about an hour, floating around without a care in the world. It was only when my phone began to ring that I finally got out of the pool, pushing my white hair out of my face. I wrapped my towel around my red and white one-piece and dried my right hand off before picking up the phone and holding the device to my ear.

"Aaye," I announced, and a voice sighed on the other side of the line.

"You should really be paying more attention to your French than your Elvish," my brother muttered under his breath, and I grinned. "Are you settled in? Do I need to come over and punch anyone in the face yet?"

"Not yet," I admitted with a pout. "Hopefully, I'll get to do that myself, but I'll save one for you."

"Please don't fight too many people," he pleaded. "You know how hard it was to explain to mum that it was self-defence? Well, I won't be around to defend you anymore, so you'll need to either clean your act up or come up with a new story."

"I'm working on one," I replied smoothly. "I was thinking something along the lines of 'he asked me to' or 'she wanted a makeover'."

"Careful," he warned me amusedly. "That first one's mine." I laughed.

"So, Cas, what are you doing calling your sister at this time of the day? I saw you yesterday."

"Yeah, but you're going to school tomorrow, and I wanted to know if you were holding up okay, after... what happened last year."

I pursed my lips. "I'm fine, Cas," I stated bluntly. "I'm just looking forward to the day school ends, you know?"

"Well, you've only got one year to go," Cas sighed, "so I wouldn't worry too much. Besides, we've just turned eighteen, and you're going to make new friends here, aren't you? Just because you don't have your brother there, though, doesn't mean you can't make friends." He paused for a moment, thinking. "I'm sorry I had to stay here with Dad," he added quietly. "After everything that's happened... I just couldn't leave him. You know?"

"I get it," I nodded tightly. "It takes him cheating on our mother to get me out of the house for good."

"It's not like that, River; he does care about you."

"Does he, though? I mean, he didn't think twice about sleeping with that sales accountant in October; what makes you think you even know that man anymore?"

"He's not all bad," Cas muttered, and I could tell he was trying hard enough to convince himself. "He's getting better. After the drugs and the gambling, he's really hit rock-bottom. He needs me, River. And it's best for you not to get involved."