24 | The Twenty Fourth Chapter

The Twenty Fourth Chapter - What Will Come.

.

.

.

The first thing that happened when I got outside with this stranger was me being shoved into an inconspicuous car in the carpark before I could even think about causing a scene. I didn't know what was going to happen to me at this stage, and that was kind of scary. All I knew about David Slater was that he wanted a lot of money from my father, who wouldn't care at all about me being kidnapped and being used for ransom. They couldn't really use anything on him, because he didn't really care about anything. And David Slater didn't know this yet.

How the fuck was I meant to convince him?

"You have no reason to be afraid just yet, River Sin," a deep, familiar voice spoke from the other side of the car. As my door slammed closed, I looked up to see the owner of the voice and don't know why I was slightly startled to find David Slater sitting opposite me. He looked scary. His face was stone cold and emotionless, and yet he seemed like he didn't have violent intentions.

Unpredictable.

"I don't know what you think you can get from me," I began, "but I don't have anything. I don't keep in contact with my father; he's a deadbeat me and Mum left this year."

"Interesting," Slater mused. "Only you and your mother? Maybe I should have gone after your brother then, hm? Well, we can go visit him now if you like."

Slater reached behind his head and knocked on the little window separating us from the driver, and the car suddenly started moving. I swallowed, hard.

"Cas has nothing to do with it either," I warned him. "He stayed with our dad so someone could keep an eye on him so he wouldn't do anything stupid again."

"Your father has never done anything sensible or intelligent in his entire miserable life. The fact of the matter is simple; he owes me 500 thousand dollars. I haven't gotten my money yet, and nor will I unless I actively force him to hand it over."

My eyes almost bulged out of my head. "500 thousand dollars?" I demanded. "How the fuck would he have that kind of money lying around anywhere? Have you seen where he lives?"

"I have. Which means one of two things: either he has spent my money, or he has lost it. Either way, I cannot get my hands on it. Which, you can understand, is beginning to irritate me."

"What did he do to owe you 500 thousand dollars?"

Slater looked at me, almost contemplating whether or not he should tell me what I want to know. I guess he decided it would be harmless and sighed.

"He wrongly informed me he could be trusted to pay back double what he owed me through gambling losses to me. He split, ducked his head and I never got my money. Then, a few months later, he popped his head up, and we discovered his family. Your mother really is a beautiful woman, River Sin. It was a pity your father had to remove himself from that relationship... such a pity..."

"Did you have anything to do with my father cheating on my mother?" I hissed. I earned a shrug in return.

"I may or may not have sent the girl to him," Slater admitted. "But how was I to know what your father would do with her?"

"You are one sick fuck," I muttered. "What are you going to do with me, then? Conveniently drop me in a vat of acid by accident? You know my father doesn't care about me whatsoever."

"I'm not trying to send a message to your father," Slater replied calmly, and the car came to a slow. I frowned slightly at his words, looking around to see where we were. The windows were so tinted I couldn't see a thing out of them.

"What do you mean?" I asked quickly, panic rising quickly in my voice. My heart was almost in my throat. "What are you doing?"

"Getting my money back," he said. The door opened beside me and I was suddenly tugged out of the car, quite forcefully, and thrown to the rough bitumen of the road. Slater was standing in front of me before I had the chance to get up, leaving me to look up at his tall, intimidating figure with fear racing through my head.

"Your brother is here to pick you up," he told me, and as I turned to look for Cas, a large, heavy boot came flying for my stomach and I gasped at the shock and speed of the pain that accompanied it. I could hear Cas shouting somewhere around me, but I couldn't focus on anything; I was disoriented and my sight was getting hazy as my eyes began to water.

Another large, solid object came flying at me, this time landing square on my right cheekbone and knocking me back to the ground. My head hit the bitumen on the way down, rattling my brain in my skull and conjuring black spots in my eyes at the same time. All I could do was grunt in pain; I couldn't even make any noise, I couldn't scream, or cry, or beg. I could hardly breathe.

"I will get my money," Slater spat as he leant down next to my face, lifting my head by my hair. This brought a strangled gasp from the back of my throat, but nothing else. "Let this be a taste of what will come if you don't deliver. I don't care how many bodies I have to go through. I know you will give me what I want sooner or later."

He dropped my hair and my head smacked to the road again, his figure retreating from where I lay. I groaned in pain as I struggled to get a hold of my surroundings, but I couldn't figure out how to operate my limbs. It was like my brain was shutting down on me.

Suddenly, footsteps were running towards me. I didn't have the time to flinch, but I knew my brother's presence when he dropped to his knees beside me.

"Come on, gently now," he murmured, going to lift my shoulders gingerly. "I'm going to take you to the hospital, okay? Then you're coming home with me. I need to have a word with dad."

I tried to open my mouth to speak, but all that came out was a weak, pathetic moan of pain. My eyes weren't concentrating on anything; I could only see lights flashing around me, everywhere.

"I've got you," the gentle voice of my brother spoke to me as he slowly lifted me into his arms. "Don't you worry, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

From there, I didn't remember much at all.

.

.

.

Another short, sharp and shiny chapter! I've been trying to keep them short so I don't overload too much info in each chapter when I want each one to relate around a specific part of the plotline, but you will get some longer chapters in the future! The next one is going to be a Tyler POV, so it will likely be the last 'short' chapter for a little while, fingers crossed! It's good to be writing again :)

What are we thinking of Cas and River's dad at this point of the story??

Keep reading! x