21 | The Twenty First Chapter

The Twenty First Chapter - He Was Looking For Me.

.

.

.

"Hey, come on, I'll take you upstairs," Will murmured to me, and I nodded, turning to follow him up. I smiled stiffly at Adriana as we passed, and reached forward out of instinct to grab Will's hand as we walked. He shot a quick look over his shoulder at me, but turned away just as fast as he led me through the rest of his house.

He opened the door to one of the rooms down the hallway once we were up the stairs, and guided me in. I went to sit on the bed, but I flopped down on the floor instead, my legs stretched out before me. I saw him hesitate before moving to sit opposite me, holding his knees up to his chest before the room settled in silence.

"Are you still cold?" Will asked me after a small silence, and I frowned, looking down and realising again that my sweater was gone. Or rather, Adriana's sweater. I shrugged in reply. "You want me to go find your jumper?"

"No, stay here," I murmured, leaning back against the side of his bed.

"Then put this on," he sighed, and a moment later something soft landed on my lap. I glanced down at it groggily, recognising it from when Will wore it yesterday. Moving slowly as my muscles struggled to register what I was asking them to do, I pulled the jumper over my head and nuzzled myself into it, closing my eyes against the light.

"Hey, don't fall asleep on me," Will protested. "You might throw up; try and stay awake, wear off some of the alcohol. Did you drink before you got here?"

I nodded stiffly. "Couple of beers," I murmured from amongst the soft fabric I was surrounded by. "Bad call."

"I'll say," he agreed in a mutter. He paused, thinking of a way he could approach the situation. "You know, he didn't really-"

"Save it," I interrupted, my eyelids peeling open slowly as I stretched my legs out in front of me some more. "Don't care. My heart hurts. No, I mean my head. My head hurts."

Will smiled sadly at me. "I know what you mean," he sighed.

"I'm sorry," I told him, my voice quiet as the faint thumping of music could be heard through the closed window behind me. Will shrugged, something glinting in his eye.

"I know," was all he said.

"Hey, you wait right here, okay? I'm gonna go see if I can find Zoe, cause I know she doesn't have her car here. Will you be okay?"

"Mm, should do," I mumbled, trying an attempt of a lazy smile. He grinned at me as he stood, and then he was gone. I felt something else stab at my heart as I realised I was alone, and that was when I realised I was in his room.

I unlaced my shoes and tugged them off as I realised they were starting to hurt me, and let out a sigh of relief at the freedom I got for my toes. I wriggled them in my socks, giggling at how they looked.

I came around soon enough and forced myself to my knees, hauling myself all the way to my feet so I could look around properly. There were pictures stuck to the walls of Will and his family; many with him and Tyler, and even more with Adriana. There weren't many of him with his Mum, but his Dad seemed frequent enough. As my eyes scanned the images, they settled finally on one that seemed newer than the rest, and that same stab entered my heart as the one I felt when I saw Tyler kissing that girl downstairs, and when Will left me alone in his room.

It was a picture of him and me. He took it last week when we were in class, telling me to pull a face. I was in the middle of an eye-roll when he stuck his tongue out and took the picture. I didn't know he'd stuck it up in his room.