29 | The Twenty Ninth Chapter

The Twenty Ninth Chapter - A Long Drive.

.

.

.

Seeing as how I had fleshed things out with Tyler, I figured it was time to face his siblings. And what better time to do it than right before leaving for the school's soccer trip? Since neither Will nor Adriana were a part of the soccer team, they would be travelling down with Tyler – separate to their parents – to support their brother. My plan was to go down with Mum, but she – being so blatantly obvious about it, as well – decided she had a few extra errands to run before starting the two-hour journey to get to our lodgings for the night before the big game the following day. She insisted I go down with the Slater's, not really giving me the opportunity to say no.

I would've fought harder, but I really wanted to see Tyler.

I figured it would be easier to talk with Will and Adriana on the drive, seeing as how I wasn't planning on hiding what happened between me and their brother. I hoped he didn't want to hide it either, but I figured we could burn that bridge when we got to it.

I was sitting in the back of the car with Will as Adriana sat in the front beside Tyler, who was driving. They'd just picked me up and we were leaving my house, pulling out onto the road, when it began.

"Are you going to tell me why you hate me so much?"

I sighed.

"She doesn't hate me," Tyler put in helpfully. I shot him a glare in the rear-view mirror.

"I'm sorry, okay?" I snapped, whirling in my seat until I was facing Will, staring down his dark, narrowed eyes. "I didn't know what to do. I've been beat up too many times this week, honestly. Between the self-defence classes Cas is making me take and all the strangers wanting to break my ribs, I didn't think I could handle another interrogation from you."

"Interrogation?" Will growled back. I was taken aback slightly by the aggression in his tone. I rarely saw him with anything but a lopsided grin on his face. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. "Did you think I was going to hurt you too?"

"Of course not!" I shot back, horrified. "Why would you say that?"

"I don't know!" he exploded, throwing his arms up in exasperation. "I don't know what's going on with you anymore! Did you know I haven't actually heard from you since the party?"

I paled slightly, a nervous laugh escaping my lips. "Now, that's not true," I said weakly, glancing quickly to the front of the car. Adriana made eye contact with me over her shoulder, shaking her head quickly. I flicked my eyes back to Will, a stab of pain shooting through my heart at the look on his face. "I'm sorry. I am. But I've been going through some heavy shit, Will, and I just couldn't handle anymore lies.

"I've never lied to you," he muttered, crossing his arms over his chest as he flopped back in his seat. He kept his gaze out the window to his left, facing away from me.

"Give her a break," Tyler growled, not turning his head as he spoke.

Will turned to his brother, eyes narrowing. "And how come you're suddenly on her side?" he snapped. "All you do is treat her like shit! Why do you care now?"

Adriana stifled a laugh in the front seat.

"Will, I'm sorry," I sighed, trying to catch his eyes in mine. "You too, Adri. I've been unfair. It's wrong of me to keep you both in the dark, and I know that. I have trust issues; major trust issues. I'm coming to terms with everything, though, and I want you to know that I'm going to stop pushing you away. That is," I added uneasily, "if you still want to be friends."