Bound by Law || 40- Hidden Truths

"Do you want me to stay with you?" Jai asked the next morning as he put on his tie. He looked at me in the mirror and raised an eyebrow. I knew that he was wary of me being by myself after that ordeal from the other day.

"No. I'm okay." I shrugged, trying to hide the fact that I really wasn't okay. "I'm going out to take Archie for a walk later, so that should help."

He nodded and I handed him his lunch box before sitting on the bed, watching him get ready. Even though Jai looked like he didn't get any sleep, he was getting ready for work.

He was still acting off with me but was nice at the same time. Which only confused me further.

He grabbed his bag before walking downstairs as I followed behind him slowly. As he opened the door, he turned to look over his shoulder at me.

His eyes shone with something indescribable, an undecipherable expression on his face as if he was battling something. But without saying anything, he left, leaving me alone.

I sighed; I had no one to talk to anymore. Sanaya would be busy with her family and looking after herself because she was pregnant, and Gavin...was not an option anymore.

On the other hand, I did have Chelsea which was good. She didn't know about what happened surprisingly and I didn't want to tell her. She and Gavin were friends and I didn't want to be the person that ruined that between them plus I didn't want him to be a part of my life anymore and by just mentioning him, I would be forced to think about the past events.

I limited my time talking to her purely because of Gavin and I didn't want him to show up again.

The only other thing I had in my life that was like a light of joy was Archie. I didn't want to go out after what had happened but staying cooped up at home was like a ticking time bomb that would be ready to explode.

Me and my thoughts alone together wouldn't be good for me.

Besides, Archie — even though he was a dog— was like a dear friend in my life that I hadn't seen in a long time and I couldn't wait. Of course, this dog walking job thing wasn't forever, but still, it gave me the chance to unwind with someone other than myself. He wouldn't understand what I'd be saying but he was a good listener regardless.

Walking over to the sofa, I sat down on it and stared at the TV that wasn't even on. I had an hour to kill before I left to go walk Archie, but I didn't feel like doing anything.

Though my life was back to normal, it felt lonelier. Like I first did when I got married to Jai. The flashes of what happened to me kept flooding my mind and I couldn't stop it. It made me realise that I was still hiding something from Jai. I had to tell him, but I didn't know when.

I can't tell him now, not when he's like this.

Putting my head in my lap, I gave out a huge, exasperated sigh just as the door opened. My whole body shook as my head snapped up to see Jai walk through it.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him and my lips parted in confusion as he briefly glanced at me before loosening his tie and walking into the kitchen.

"Didn't want to leave you alone after what happened," he said, offering no other explanation.

I blinked at his odd behaviour and watched as he grabbed an apple and took a bite out of it, chewing casually as if he hadn't just walked out and then strolled back in.

***

Rahul chuckled and looked at him with a cruel smirk twisting his features.