Bound by Law || 5-Cold Shoulder

When we had arrived to the wedding reception, there was barely anyone there yet because we had to get ready and be up on the stage, ready to greet everyone.

It was going to be tough, since everyone would be there; it'd be a surprise to them.

My palms were sweating as I clenched the front of my jeweled and embroidered maroon saree that I was saving for this very moment...with Aman.

As everyone we invited started to come inside the big place to get seated down, I couldn't help but look at Jai in worry.

He looked like he didn't care at all. He was in his own dream world.

Jai didn't speak to me and just let his eyes follow the movements of the guests.

I bit my lip. If I was going to make this marriage work, I knew I had to at least be a little bit confident and speak to him.

"Hi," I said softly, almost in a whisper.

Jai didn't look my way, and continued to stare straight ahead.

Maybe he didn't hear me?

I opened my mouth to greet him again when he exasperatedly sighed and turned his head towards me, his eyes blazing with hot fury.

I gulped in fear as I watched him glare at me with so much hatred, it could melt the ice sculpture that we had.

"What?" he spat out, angrily.

I didn't know what to say to that, and Jai took that as a silent agreement as he turned away soon after, the furrow in his eyebrows deepening.

"I'm sorry. All I wanted to do was to greet you."

"Yeah, well, don't. I don't want any greetings from someone like you."

Someone like me?

He was behaving rudely and I didn't have an explanation to why. I was in the same situation as him. I didn't want to get married to him.

This isn't what I wanted.

"You don't have to be so rude," I whispered, frowning.

Jai scoffed, his fingers tapping on the pants of his sherwani.

"Well, suck it up. You're gonna have to deal with it if you're gonna spend the rest of your life with me."

My eyes widened at how cold he was, and he seemed to find my reaction amusing, as the corner of his lips tilted up into a cold smirk.

"I wish Aman was here," I mumbled to myself, hurt.

It wasn't meant for Jai to hear–but he did.

"Yeah, don't we all," he stated coldly. "I never wanted this bloody marriage."

My eyes widened in shock at his vulgar language and he only responded with an eye-roll.

What a disgustingly rude man.

"Well, I didn't want this either but—"

"Look," he groaned in irritation. "I don't like you and I never will. You are not my wife, so stop acting like it."