Bound by Law || 14- Long Time, No See

Every day and night was busy here.

Boring, but busy.

I cooked in the morning, and then cooked dinner and left it out on the dining table so when Jai was back from work, he could heat it up and eat. He, at least, ate my food, which was a step in the right direction.

It was irritating that my life only seemed to revolve around cooking food and the kitchen as of that moment.

I wanted to work and get a job, but ever since that day my confidence and self esteem seemed to plummet so low that I just didn't want to do anything anymore.

So, I had to suck it up and do what I could by staying inside and working that way. The downside of being a wife and doing chores meant that I didn't get paid.

Which sucked.

What also sucked was that we slept in different rooms, much to my relief because I was more comfortable in my own bed rather than sleeping next to Jai; I would become awkward and as stiff as a board because I felt like I would be disturbing his sleep every time I moved around. 

To lie down next to someone else that wasn't close family members was just too awkward.

I was happy to say that I had a chance every night to call my parents. I would talk to them about how my day was and how things were back home.

I was still slightly mad at them for making me do this, but I couldn't be like that forever.

It had been a week since we came here, and I hadn't been outside. But I was settling in here comfortably because Jai was barely around.

I knew in the back of my mind that it was harder for Jai who would leave in the morning and come back at midnight.

Since I was a light sleeper, I could always hear him dragging his feet into the room next to mine.

"Freaking hell," someone muttered, causing me to immediately snap my head to look towards the culprit.

My increased heart-beat slowed down when my eyes met with Jai's figure.

He looked really tired; he was pinching the bridge of his nose, his tie was loose and he slammed the door closed, shuffling to the kitchen aimlessly.

I paused the TV and went to walk towards him, when I stopped.

He doesn't want me to butt into his personal life and act like his wife, remember?

I contemplated this, and bit my lip hard. In the end, the good part of my consciousness won. Walking towards the kitchen to get out his food, I nearly crashed into Jai who was coming out of the kitchen.

We tried to go our seperate ways, but we both blocked the other; we would step to the left and then the right, not being able to go anywhere.

"Sorry," I mumbled, before quickly ducking away to the left and towards the big pot with the biryani in it.

I turned to Jai, who was about to walk up the stairs.

"Jai?" I called out, and he turned half-way to look at me, bags under his eyes.

"Can you serve yourself or—"

"Yeah," he said, curtly before continuing his walk up the stairs.

I clicked my tongue. I had gotten up for no apparent reason, asking the question afterwards like the dumb person I was.

Walking towards the TV, I sat myself down and played the show that I was watching, forgetting about everything and everyone for a moment.

Jai came back downstairs but he had changed, this time to something comfortable.