Bound by Law || 30- Accepting Fate

My blurred vision located a foreign object beside me. I furrowed my eyebrows and watched it for a little while.

As soon as it changed position, I furiously rubbed my eyes in fear of what it was.

My eyes adjusted to the brightness of the room and fixated themselves on a body—Jai's half-naked body to be precise and I gasped.

Jai?!

He was lying on his front, his face turned towards me on the pillow. I gulped and stared at him with wide eyes.

"Jai," I squeaked.

I hesitantly reached out and placed my hands gently on his warm, topless back, shaking him.

I didn't know where I had found the confidence to touch him, but since he was asleep, I felt like I didn't need to fear being yelled at.

When he didn't respond, I gathered the courage to shake him harder.

Jai grunted and knitted both his eyebrows together in irritation, his mouth pulled down into a frown.

He rolled over onto his back, bringing his arm up and over his face, resting the crook of his elbow on his forehead.

I shook him again, but this time with more urgency.

"Jai!"

"What."

Jai ran that same hand down his face, groggily. His half-opened eyes looked around the room before he turned his head and settled them on me.

His eyes instantly hardened as they met with mine. He smacked his lips slowly, and got up, letting out a sigh.

"Why are you here?!"

"Why do you think?" he asked, sarcastically.

"Jai, I'm serious."

"I know," he said with a nod, "I am too."

My chest began to heave uncontrollably because I was panicking.

Did he...do something?!

"I—um, did we—"

The look on my face must have shown something as Jai rolled his eyes and pushed himself off the bed.

"Calm down, nothing happened."

I didn't want to look at him since he was shirtless so I averted my gaze away and down to the bed.

"So, what exactly happened, then?"

"You were screaming in the middle of the night again, so I came in. You wouldn't let me leave after comforting you so I stayed."

He did that?

What I didn't understand, was why. I had nightmares often but he never cared to comfort me then. So it didn't make sense to me why he was helping me now.

"Why now?"

Jai had opened the door and was about to step out when he stopped at my soft question.

"What?"

"Why now?" I repeated. "You never seemed to care about me before."

He shrugged, his back glistening golden orange against the sun that shone through the blinds.

"Guess I just had a change of heart."

With that, he walked out of the room and to, I assumed, his own.

I got up to make breakfast for Jai as he got ready for work. We said nothing to each other but it didn't matter because I was still baffled to hear that Jai had came into my room in the middle of the night and comforted me.