An act of kindness

Ding dong

The door swung open and standing there was stunning brown haired women standing at 5'3 with a petite figure: Lisa, Ryder's mum.

"Crystal, how lovely to see you again. Merry Christmas." She pulled me into a hug before turning to Jake and asking "Who is this handsome young man and where have you been hiding him?"

Jake steps forward, a smile on his face and says "I'm Jake stag, it's a pleasure to meet you Mrs Finner." He sticks out his hand to shake it but is quickly pulled into a hug my Lisa, careful not to hurt the gingerbread house.

"Please dear call me Lisa. Now come in children, it's cold outside." We shuffle our way in, and let out a breath when the warmth hits me.

I take off my shoes before running to the living area with Jake.

"Merry Christmas!" I shout, making everyone look at us. Jake stands there a bit awkwardly so I quickly save him by saying "Guys I'd like you to meet my best friend Jake. Jake meet: Ryder and his dad Mike and Ryder's younger sister Lily, Jacob and his mum Olivia and Jacob's younger brother Dylan, Jayden and Kaiden and their parents Debby and Derek, Caleb and his parents Michelle and Peter and Last but not least Justin, his older brother Daniel and his parents Anna and Collin. Woah that was long." I breathe out. While saying everyone's name I pointed at them. There are a chorus of greetings.

Jake chuckled nervously before saying "Hi." Lily skips over to us and asks "What's that?" She points to our masterpiece.

Jake crouches down and speaks softly "This is our gingerbread house. Me and Crystal make one ever year and thought we should bring it here. Would you like a piece?" Her head moves up and down rapidly. "Okay, but we'll ask your parents first."

"Yes, She can have some. But not a lot. Lisa confirms. Lily grabs hold of Jake's free hand and drags him away to the kitchen.

While he does that I run over and jump on the sofa. "So, What film are we going to watch?"

"I was thinking Jingle all the way?" Mike suggests.

"No." I blurt out. "I.. umm... it's just that..." I'm very thankful when Jake come in and sits next to me laughing.

"She doesn't like Christmas films apar..."

Jake is then cut off by Jayden standing up and screaming "WHAT!".

I make sure I still have my hearing before responding "There's only one Christmas film I like, the rest are just unrealistic, they just don't get me into the Christmas spirit. Don't judge me, it makes sense in my mind." I cross my arms over my chest and pout.

"So what do you watch then?" The twenty-two year old black haired man wondered- Daniel.

"Well Daniel, I watch..." I turn to look Jake in the eye, then at the same time we say "The nightmare before Christmas." It's out favourite Christmas movie don't judge us.

I hear a scoff followed by a "That's not a Christmas movie, that's a Halloween movie."

"Ohh you shouldn't of said that." Jake sang getting comfy. He already knows what's about to happen because Is happens before.

"Alright you little twurp." I storm up to Justin pointing a finger in his face and plastering on my meanest glare. "Do. Not. Ever. Say. That. Again." Each time I say a word I poke his chest watching his face go a lighter shade. " It is not a Halloween movie, yes it's set in Halloween town, but it's actually about Christmas. So I suggested you shut that pie hole before I make you." I tilt my head a little to my right and give him and innocent smile before turning around, glancing over the shocked faces and then let myself flop into a beanbag next to Jake.

"Great. It's settled we're watching The nightmare before Christmas." Justin announces.

"Well hurry up and put it on then." I impatiently say, clicking my finger. In response he says something under his breath, low enough to that I can't hear
him.

***

"I just love that film." I say lowly. I don't know how but I ended up sharing a bean bag with Ryder, so I was sort of sitting half on top of him; half not.

"Alright kids, go wash your hands and get ready for dinner. Can Ryder and Jayden come and set the table please." Lisa walks in from the kitchen dusting her hands on her apron.

I stand up ready to go to the kitchen to help Lisa when something, or someone catches my eye.

I spin around to Caleb and ask him "Hey, what's up with Dylan." I say while looking at Dylan sat on the bottom step with his head in his hands.

Caleb scratches the back of his head before saying "His and Jacobs dad died last year, Jacob's handled it better. Dylan, not so much. He sort of blocked everyone out." He says sadly, before putting his hand in his trouser pockets and then trudging into the kitchen.

He reminds me on myself.

I prance over to him and sit next to him, looking straight head. Either he doesn't know I'm here or he's trying to ignore me because he doesn't move but keeps his head in his hands.

I nudge is shoulder with mine and gently say "Hey Dylan, how are you doing?"

I wait a couple of minutes before speaking up again. "I know how you feel. I may not show it, but I do. Not long ago I was struggling, well I still am, but I can promise you something Dill: it's gets better." I let out a low sigh, when I don't hear anything, just the same reaction, him with his head in his hands."

"It's okay not to be strong, no-ones asking you, no-one will ever make fun of you. If you need to cry: cry. If you need to shout: shout. If you need to speak to someone, speak to someone." I put my arm around his shoulder, comforting him.

"It's hard." He speaks up, his voice croaky. "I'm not used to it. One day he was here the next... he wasn't." He scoffs before mumbling "This is stupid, you probably don't even know what it feels like."

"Trust me Dill, I know better than anyone what it's like. But we're not talking about me. I want you to know that I'm always here for you. And don't push yourself away or put walls up, it doesn't help. Talk. Shout. Cry. Do whatever you need to feel better, but not harmful. Find a new hobby." I advise him while flinging my arms about, trying to get it into his head.

Our moment is cut of by Jacob walking in and saying "Dinners ready." While looking at us like we're guilty for something.

I stand up shortly after Jacob walked away but get pulled back down and pulled into a hug, surprisingly. "Thank you." Dylan whispers in my ear. I return the hug before standing and pulling him with me.

"Now, I want you to go in there and have a good time okay?" He nods his head but I quickly add "Promise?"

"I promise" He says, with a smile; not fake but genuine.

Song: Bastille- An act of kindness