Chapter Thirty-Nine-

Chapter Thirty-Nine—

Slowly, I creaked open the large door, wondering if I was going to get into major trouble for ditching class… again. It was the end of the year, so I assumed that my presence wouldn’t be terribly missed. Besides, it’s not like I was missing a final or some stupid standardized, state test- just a dumb movie on whales. Our science teacher is legitimately insane.

      Our regular science teacher had a baby, so is out on maternal leave. She left lesson plans with the substitute. The sub lost the lesson plans, so is now teaching us about whales. This lady is psychotic, and I don’t use that term loosely, considering my grandpa was a psychologist. She’s about one hundred and twelve years old, and wears a sweater to every class. It’s the spring, meaning it’s hot out. Cr-a-zy! She has this quiet little voice one can barely hear, and has asked me to leave the room on multiple occasions due to “distracting movements”. Right, because shaking my leg… under the table is totally considered “distracting”. Bitch.

      “Hello?” I yelled in a whisper. No reply. Though following the instructions from a text sent using a blocked number might not seem like “smartest” idea, I had a pretty good generalization of who had sent it. Besides, it was better than getting yelled at for sharpening my pencil or coughing.

      Tiptoeing, I entered the auditorium, curious as to why I was needed. I looked around, and saw nothing (mainly because it was pitched black). I heard movement, but didn’t see anybody.

      “Jules!” someone called. I looked around, searching for the possessor of the voice, but couldn’t see anyone or anything.

      “Over here, loser!” a voice I knew belonged to Trent said. I continued to stare into the blackness, until my eyes partially adjusted, and I could barley make out about five or so figures in the front of the room, close to the stage. I walked towards them, fully knowing I was among friends.

      “Hey,” I said once I reached them, “who sent the text?”

      “We were hoping you did,” Kim said, as I saw the outline of her toss her braid over her shoulder.

      “Sorry, but this unfortunately wasn’t my doing,” I said. “Anyone have a flashlight?”

      “One sec,” a masculine voice I recognized to be Owen’s said. I heard a rustling noise, and a beam of light illuminated our faces. “Let there be light!”

      Izzy and Mia were the two others that had been assembled here, not surprisingly. After soaking in everyone’s features, something struck me as odd. “Owen,” I said, “why are you missing class?”

      “We’re in the same science class,” he explained. “I didn’t feel like being patronized by a person of lesser brain power than I, nor watching yet another video of whales swimming in the ocean. I believe the first eighteen were enough.”

      “Ah,” I said, completely understanding. The sub had taken a disliking to Owen for some reason. I think it was because he was smart, and she may have felt intimidated.

      “Oh yeah, I heard about that lady! Sucks for you two!” Trent laughed.

      “Trent, what are you missing?” Kim inquired.

      “I don’t know,” he shrugged.

      “Trent!” she scolded.

      “Art class,” he mumbled. “It’s a fake class, so I didn’t think missing it would affect my intelligence or knowledge intake.”

      “Izzy and I are missing math class,” Mia chirped.

      “So, why are we here?” Trent summed up the questioned that had been looming in each of our minds.