Chapter Thirty-Seven

      “And then she picked us up, and swore not to tell our parents or Michael,” Talia laughed as we walked down the stark hall of the hospital.

      “She sounds great,” I said, genuinely wanting to meet the girl we were now talking about once she was done… giving birth.

      “She is,” Talia said happily. “If Michael doesn’t propose to her soon, I’ll do it for him. She’s amazing, and, personally, I have no issue with being an aunt, though her parents seem a bit on the displeased side.

      “Are they nice people?” I questioned.

      “Eh. A little bit on the strict side, but overall they’re pretty chill. They’re like ultra conservative, which is why they like Michael, though their daughter is a bit more on the modern side… if that makes sense.”

      “Yeah, totally,” I said, as we came back to the waiting room we had left just a brief hour before. I saw Chase sitting down next to his older brother, talking.

      “Mike!” Talia shouted at an inappropriate volume level for the place we were in.

      “Do not call me that,” Michael said, standing up, and approaching us as Chase did the same.

      “Did you bring us food?” Chase asked.

      “I don’t know, did you want food?” I said, gripping the provisions I had brought tightly behind my back.

      “What’s behind your back?”

      “Nothing.”

      Chase wrapped his arms around me, awkwardly hugging me, and snaked the bag of processed, crunchy potatoes from my fingers. He held the bag in front of his face and smiled in triumph. He opened the thin packaging, and popped a chip into his mouth, savoring the salt and lack of potato. After finishing a hand full of chips, he addressed me, “You rock, Jules.”

      “I know,” I sighed, watching him eat… though not a creepy way.

      “Talia, you didn’t by chance happen to bring me back anything as well, did you?” Michael pried.

      “I thought your girlfriend was going to do that,” Talia said, blinking. Michael wasn’t amused, and crossed his arms in annoyance. Talia huffed, and handed over the brown bag of M&Ms she had gotten for her older brother. His eyes widened, as did the grin on his face. He carefully tore the top open, and then began munching on the circular chocolate. Someone liked chocolate...

      “Thank you,” Michael said after he was half way done with the packet of candy.

      “Welcome,” Talia said.

      “Michael!” a female voice said. I looked up and saw Alison, Chase’s mom standing beside her husband. We all turned towards the couple, as they greeted their eldest son by embracing him.

      “Mom, dad, what about me?” Talia said, holding her hands out, a few feet away from us.

      “We see you all the time- where did Brett go?” Darcy, Chase’s father, said, glancing around his surroundings.

      “Yo! Right here!” a voice boomed.

      “Jules, I apologize for the next undetermined amount of time you may have to spend with my family. Don’t hate me or break up with me when it’s over,” Chase whispered to me.

      “Why would I-” I began.

      “Chase! You’re all grown up!” a tall guy I presumed to be Brett said, rustling Chase’s hair. He looked like an exact copy of his father, only younger. His hair was shorter than Chase’s, and he had squared shoulders that were exposed from the loose-fitting tank top that was on his body. His eyes were same color as Chase’s, and he had a pleasant face. His bottoms consisted of black, mesh shorts, and on his feet he wore a pair of flip-flops.