Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

      “Give it back Jules!” Logan shouted, trying to keep up with me as I ran down the desolate hallway.

      “Oh come on Logan! You seriously can’t catch me? I’m not even going that fast!” I said, picking up my pace. Damn it. I can’t believe he’s actually a fast runner! This shit sucks!

      “Yes you are!” he yelled behind me.

      “Not my fault you’re slow!” I wheezed, almost out of breath. I took a look around, to see if there was anywhere to escape. “Women’s” (we’re not really women; we’re teenage girls who want to be treated like women) locker room! Score! I ducked inside, to see the door slam in Logan’s face. Phew. Safe at last.

      “Jules open up! I need it back!” he yelled on the other side.

      “No you don’t!” I retorted, placing the object of our dispute on top of my head.

      “Jules! Give it back!”

      “Or what?”

      “Or I’ll come in and get it!”

      “It’s just a hat!” I said, adjusting it so it was turned sideways.

      “It’s my snapback!” he whined.

      “I don’t know what that is.”

      “It’s the type of hat. Now please, come out and give it to me!”

      “I have practice,” I said, moving away from the door. I went to a locker, and dropped my drawstring bag in, removing my clothes. I quickly changed, and was about to leave, when the reflection in the mirror caught my eye. Damn I look good! I fixed the hat once more, so it was “perfect” and left the room.

      “JULIA TYLERS! GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE!” Talia yelled, as she spotted my figure walking towards the nets.

      “TALIA RYAN! SHUT UP!” I screamed back.

      “Oh is that how we’re talking to each other now?” she challenged, running up over to me.

      “Yes it is,” I nodded, stealing the volleyball that was in her hand, and serving to a random girl in the distance.

      “Nice hat,” she smirked, “does it belong to a boyfriend?”

      “Nope.”

      “Well, speaking of boyfriends, tell your brother to call me.”

      “Why can’t you?”

      “I was mad at him today…”

      “Oh no. What’d the idiot do this time?” I asked, hoping that Adam hadn’t jeopardized his relationship with one of the only girls I’ve liked thus far. 

      “He… it doesn’t matter. Just tell him I’m over it, and I want to talk,” she said.

      “Okay,” I said, as I saw Logan enter the gym. He looked over to me, paused, and then ran straight for me. I wasn’t getting out of this one. He kept running, and I just stood there, not daring to move. He rammed me into a hug, and folded his arms tightly around me. One of his hands snaked its way up my back, and to my head, removing his precious hat.

      “Don’t take my hat again,” he rasped, placing it back on his coal colored head.

      “I don’t make promises I don’t intend on keeping,” I laughed, pulling away from him, and running over to join the other girls.