Chapter Thirty-Eight

       I looked down at the small being, as I cradled him in my arms. His eyes were of a misty blue color, not used to the light that was engulfing the room, and his skin was an odd pinkish tone, contrasting to my tannish-white. He had tiny limbs, and looked almost fake. Though a white and teal striped blanket covered them, his hands were what intrigued me the most.

       He had the smallest hands I had ever seen, and fingers that looked like they could belong to a Barbie doll. The fact that someone so small could possess so many similarities to a full-grown person like myself truly amazed me. He himself looked like one of the dolls I had played with as a young child, only he was real. I was holding a living, breathing, seeing, perfect baby boy. He was perfect.

       “What’s his name?” I asked, looking up at the new mother I had met just minutes before. That too amazed me- how does a mother put trust in someone they barely know to hold their entire world? Gloria had never met me before, but when I told her Chase and I were dating, she insisted that I hold him.

       “Samuel Parker Ryan,” she answered, gazing at him fondly.

       “He’s beautiful,” I said, staring at the amazing form of life that was in my arms.

       “Just like his father,” she said, looking over to Michael, and smiling lovingly.

       “He’s going to play football,” Michael said, walking around the hospital bed to come over to where we were standing.

       “You know what, I think I he should do ballet,” Gloria mused, though by the tone in her voice I could tell she wasn’t serious.

       “Glor, you’re going to win on a lot of things, but having him not play football is not one of them,” Michael said firmly.

       “Why are we even thinking of the future? Why can’t we just focus on the here and the now? Our son is in the world, and he’s healthy. That’s all anyone can ask for.”

       “You’re amazing,” Michael said.

       “So are you,” she sighed.

       The baby began to shift, and then cry. He was screaming, as tears streamed down his small face. I couldn’t figure out the reason behind his sudden discomfort, but tried to soothe him by rocking him back and forth. He wouldn’t stop.

       “Can I try?” Chase asked, as his hands hovered over his new nephew. I nodded, handing him the child. He caressed him in the way Gloria had showed us both, and began to slowly sway him in his arms. His crying shortly subdued, and Chase continued to rock him back and forth.

       “I think someone likes you,” Gloria said.

       “I think I totally just earned the title of favorite uncle!” Chase boasted, smiling.

       “Well so far you’re doing better than Brett,” she laughed.

       In the past few minutes, I had determined a few things about Gloria. She was pretty. She had dark hair and sparkling blue eyes full of excitement. Her skin was lightly tanned, and her appearance fit with Michael’s like the perfect puzzle piece. They were a cute couple. She was nice. She had been overly generous with allowing me to preform the small task of holding Samuel, and had one of those personalities that radiated amiability. From what I could grasp, she had a good heart. And lastly, she loved Michael. From all her actions, I could tell the two of them were more than just acquaintances who happened to have a baby together; they loved each other. I liked her.