Chapter 6: Ruined

Rain poured down outside, making puddles form. The water droplets streaked across my window. I rested my head on the cold glass. The power was out and the sky was covered in haunting, gray clouds.

I wrapped a blanket around my freezing arms and drew a breathe. The doorbell rang. Sighing, I got up and went to the door.

"Jade? What are you doing here?" I raised my eyebrows at the sight of my soaked sister carrying heavy luggage. Her wet, dark brown hair hung in her face. Her blue shirt was dotted with raindrops. Jade looked exhausted.

"Tess, you were supposed to pick me up from the airport, remember?" She threw the luggage to the floor and closed the door behind her.

"How would mom and dad expect me to do that? I can't drive yet," I crossed my arms.

"I don't know, get a taxi," My sister narrowed her eyes," Now where am I sleeping?"

I gave her a puzzled look," You didn't even remember to get me a place to sleep? Ugh. Fine I'll sleep on the couch!"

Jade picked up her bags and carried them to the living room. I just shrugged and followed her.

"Where are Mom and Dad?" She glanced around.

"Out shopping," I answered.

"In this weather?" She reached into her bag and pulled out some gum.

"Yes," I looked at her pack of spear mint gum.

"You want some?" She handed me a piece.

I unwrapped it and slipped it in my mouth,"Never thought I would see the day my sister was nice to me," I joked.

"I wasn't. That piece fell on the floor," Jade said with a glimmer in her eye.

"Ewe!" I spit the piece out and wiped my tongue.

Jade laughed," Never gets old."

I glared at her.

Beep! Beep!

My phone's screen flashed with a new text from Derick.

Hey

Hi, I replied.

What's up?, Derick asked.

Nm, u?, The only sounds were the clicking of my keypad and the soft patter of rain on the roof. My sister's laptop hummed as she turned it on.

Same :/, Derick said.

"Riveting conversation," Jade leaned over my shoulder.

"Shut up," I pushed her playfully.

"I'm just saying," She shrugged.

So..., I sent.

So... U wanna meet up at Winterfield Square?, Derick asked?

Winterfeild Square was a street cars weren't allowed to drive on. It had little shops that sold jewelry and clothes, plus there were cafes and ice cream parlors. It was packed with people and always smelled like chocolate. My favorite little place on that street was a cafe called Rita's Delights. They had the best hot chocolate with small fluffy marshmallows. Soft music hummed as you sipped the warm drink by a small fireplace in every corner of the cafe. Even though it was California, it made you feel like you were in the mountains. It always felt warm and cozy. I had only been there once, but I fell in love with the small place.

But It's raining..., I pointed out.

Best time 2 go 2 Rita's, He knew me so well, and he had a point.