Chapter 5: Don't Judge a Book by its Cover

It took a while for Derick to text back. I'll b right over

I relaxed a little, atleast I would have Derick over here during my panic attack. Thnx

I pulled myself out of bed to get the door when he arrived. I wrapped myself in a fluffy blanket and slipped on some fuzzy slippers. My teeth chattered and my whole body vibrated. The cold, hard floor seemed to spin.

I sat on the couch and brought my knees to my chest. My eyes felt heavy so I closed them. My dream was horrifying. Tyler couldn't be the one that hired thugs to attack me. I had told him the truth like a good girl, admitting Derick kissed me, but he had become enraged with anger. But that couldn't be enough of a reason for him to do such a thing. Yet the dream had been so clear and focused, like it really was going to happen if Derick hadn't showed up.

The clatter of a plate hitting the marble counter made me open my eyes. Sherry stood at the counter making breakfast. She looked up and noticed me with my wild eyes and unbrushed hair. She raised her eyebrow, puzzled, but I turned away.

I heard her feet hit the wood floors as she approached me. My mom wrapped her arms around me and stroked my hair. "What's bothering you?"

I hesitated, choosing my words carefully before I spoke," Why did you always try to get me to break up with Tyler?"

She removed her arms from around me," Are you sure you really want to know?" I nodded.

"When I first met Tyler's parents, they seemed a bit off. They never went out with friends, or really leave their house at all. But sometimes they dissappeared for days, or even weeks."

"And?" I asked.

"Well, your father and I decided to host a party in their honor after Tyler's father, Mr. Gorter, landed a job at that high paying company. But they didn't show up. So all the guests went with us to their house to surprise his parents with some cake. What happened next was really weird. Are you sure you want me to continue?" Sherry glanced at me.

I nodded, frantically. She couldn't stop now. " The door opened, but noone was there. Your father and I walked in and looked around, and... and..."

"What?! What happened?" I was sitting on the edge of the couch.

She hesitated, but continued," His parents were fighting someone. And Tyler... well he was helping."

I gasped, but didn't say anything. After a while, I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out.

"I didn't want to tell, because you seemed so happy around him, and I didn't know how to break it to you. His parents are spies. And, I thought Tyler might be one too. So I was hesitant to let you out alone with him. I'm really sorry your father or I never told you."

I looked away. It was silent. There was nothing to say. Finally, I spoke," It's okay. I probably would have done the same thing. Actually maybe not... "

Ding! Dong!

Sherry got the door and let Derick in. "I'll leave you two alone," My mom gave me a look that seemed to say, 'We'll finish this later'.

"So, what did you want to say about Tyler?" Derick souned worried.

"Do you remember when those bikers attacked me?"

He nodded.

"I think... I think Tyler told them to." I admitted.

"What makes you think that?" He didn't sound very surprised, but curious.

"I had a dream last night about it. In my dream, you weren't there, but Tyler came up and started beating me," I told the rest of the story, not bothering to hold back the tears, I even told him the story about Tyler's parents. Derick wrapped me in a giant bear hug, when I finished.

We sat there for what felt like hours, the only sound was my soft crying. He stroked my back,"Do you want to ask him?"

"What?!" I screamed.

"Do you want to ask him if he hired those motorcyclists?" I gave him a strange look. "It wouldn't hurt to ask."

"That's where your wrong. You were there in the parking lot, you saw his wild eyes, it was much worse when he broke up with me. Tyler was enraged. Enraged enough, that he could have hired those thugs," I wiped away my tears

He opened his mouth to argue, but held back. Instead, he kissed my forehead. I gave him a tiny smile, snuggling my head into his shoulder, a perfect fit. Derick smiled back,"Fine, we won't ask him, but when school starts again in 2 weeks, I am being your personal bodygaurd," He teased.

I giggled, "Okay."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, after a long conversation with my mom about Tyler, we went out shopping for school supplies. The shoes were stuffed with paper, the backpacks all the same, and the pencil and pen packages had already been opened.

My mom peered at the price tags as little kids cried over toys and mothers shook their finger at them. I had my arms crossed and was glancing around.

Suddenly, two hands covered my eyes," Guess who?"

"Um... Derick?" I bit my lip.

"Nope, it's me! Greg!" Greg removed his hands.

"Oh, hey," Greg had been one of the people who helped me surf.

"I heard you're dating Derick now," He teased.

"Um, yeah," I shrugged," How did you know?"

"He told me. Now that you're dating, he talks alot about you," Greg winked.

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow. A kid started screaming when he saw there were no more toy cars.

"Yep. I'm getting kinda tired of it. I mean he is my best friend, and you're his girlfriend, but I wish he would stop. Sorry," Greg shrugged.

"It's okay," I said," So........?"

"Well, see you around, bye!" Greg waved.

"Bye," I replied.

I turned around after he left and spotted Tyler just across the aisle. With cheetah speed, I hid behind a display. When I peeked out from behind, I saw a girl draping her arms around his shoulders, and I realized it was a girl from the beach party. Tyler was grabbing her butt. It was a little creepy they were doing it in public. Their lips were locked and had no key. I turned away, disgusted.

"Ready to go?" Sherry asked me. I nodded.

The line was short, and we walked to the car. The lot was packed with cars, ours in the way back. Then I heard a loud motor behind me, and when I turned I saw a guy on a motorcycle, the same guy that tried to hurt me a few days ago. He was barreling toward me, but I got out of the way just in time.

When he passed, I saw Tyler leaving the store. He had an evil look on his face, and he looked disappointed I hadn't been hit. Tyler was staring straight at me, then pointed two fingers at him, then at me, he was going to be watching me very carefully.