Chapter 7

"No!" I screamed and dropped Liz on the ground. I ran at Robert. Seeing him lunge at Alem was more than I could take but when Eric stepped in the path I felt a rage I'd never experienced. No one was going to mess with my boys. Then it suddenly hit me that if mine and Eric's connection was so strong, Robert's connection with Liz may be that strong as well. A million things were running through my head and more than anything, I knew I needed to get to Robert. I instantly stopped running and turned back to Liz. She was still on the ground and in a flash I was back at her side.

"I'm sorry for this," I said and I picked her up. I moved her head to the side, placing my teeth almost on her skin. I shouted Robert's name to get his attention. Robert and Eric were fighting and from the looks of things they were very evenly matched. I still couldn't take the risk of him hurting either one of my boys. I was praying that Robert and Liz's connection was as strong as mine and Eric's. I was going to use her as leverage and bait if needed in order to get what I wanted.

"Robert!" I screamed his name again and my teeth slightly pierced Liz's throat. She had a gasping sound and his face automatically snapped my way. He was seething with rage but I was correct in my guess that his connection to Liz was strong. Eric was more protective when I was pregnant and I could only imagine what Robert was feeling was feeling right now.

"You put her down, unharmed or I'll kill Eric." Robert said to me. He took a step towards him but Eric said he was fine to take him in my mind. I had no doubt that Eric was more than capable of taking Robert on. He had been through so much since we'd been together and I knew he'd been itching to kill him since he first saw him.

"You leave Eric and Alem alone or I'm going to kill Liz and your baby." I needed Robert to think I didn't have any other options. I needed him to think killing Liz was something I was really going to do as a last resort.

"You wouldn’t dare. She's your friend." Liz struggled in my arms a bit but I just tightened my grip on her. She was part of my family but since she became Robert's mate I knew we couldn't have the same relationship. It wasn't like we could get our kids and families together for a barbecue or something. Her mate was a monster and a killer. I was honestly shocked that he was capable of loving anyone but himself.

"I'd do anything for my family. Liz isn't part of my family anymore because of you. Her life means nothing to me." I felt the pull at my heart, saying that out loud and only my husband knew it was a lie. I took a breath and started again. "Leave, now and she'll be fine." My voice was deep and I meant every word I said. I never took my eyes off Robert and I could tell he knew I was serious. Liz struggled in my arms again and I bit down slowly on her neck, making her scream.

"Give her to me and I'll go." A faint smile crept across his face and as quickly as it was there, it was gone.

I saw Alem moving towards Robert and my mind screamed for him to stop. Alem's eyes flashed to mine quickly and in an instant, he was at my side. He grabbed Liz from my arms and bit down on her neck. Seeing my son with so much power and fearless confidence made me proud and scared at the same time. He wasn't the boy I left all those days ago. He was a man now and he was taking my place with Liz so I didn't have to hurt my friend.

"Leave," Eric said as he took a step closer to Robert. Robert moved away from him quickly and looked around at all of us. It was clear he was outnumbered and in need of a new game plan. His face was visibly showing his thoughts. It would flash anger and then fear in a matter of seconds. He would scan out faces in return, obviously forming some kind of plan. He started retreating slowly, causing Liz to whimper.

"No, Robert please don't leave me," Liz said and I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She had a weak mate. Eric would never leave me. He'd fight for me until his last breath left his body. That's when I realized no one would ever have a bond like he and I did.