Chapter 12

Kidd

I sat before June bug for the third time this week. He's been unusually quiet.. he won't even look at me. This is how he acts sometimes, but he's never acted this way, this long.

"What's going on? You can tell me"

I watched him, he would look anywhere but at me. I don't  understand why he's acting this way. Did I miss something? Is someone bothering him? I have so many questions but I'm not getting anywhere with him.

"Zabi, you have to speak to me. Tell me what's on your mind"

He started to lift his head.. I nodded thinking I was getting somewhere, until he put it back down. I noticed he was a bit shaken up, I sighed and tried to think of different ways to make him feel comfortable.

I grabbed my bag off the floor and took out the jar of buttons, I had been working on for him. There was an assortment of different colors and shapes. I sat the jar beside him, he glanced at it and started to reach for it.

"Do you like them? I spent weeks collecting them for you"

He smiled and cut his eyes at me, a child like giggled escaped his lips. "I-I like it, t-thank you" he spoke so low.. only I could hear what he said.

"Are you ready to talk to me?"

"They hurt, they hurt me"

"Look at me Zabi..."

He lifted his head slowly, he had a bruise just below his eye and his lip was split. I felt my anger rising by the minute, these bastards are supposed to care for him and there abusing him. I clenched my fist and closed my eyes.. I wanted to smash some ones face in.

I felt a hand go on my shoulder, I opened my eyes. "No.. no.. no" he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, June bug.. would you like to come home with me?"

His eyes lit up and he nodded, I patted his shoulder and started to gather this things. Making sure to carefully place the things that were priceless to him in my bag neatly.

I grabbed his bags and helped him out of bed, he seemed so weak. I swear they were trying to send him to an early grave.. not on my watch they won't. I sat him in a wheel chair and locked it in place. I checked the room and made sure I had all of his belongings.

I rolled him down the hall, as soon as we left the room June bug started to frown and put his head down. The nurses were giving him nasty looks.

It was like he was crying and hyperventilating.. which only made me angrier. What have they done to him to make him act like this. I quickly got us to the parking lot and crouched down in front of him.

He was crying and shaking.. I grabbed a tissue and cleaned his face. "Listen to me, ok?"

He sniffled and looked at me, his bottom lip was quivering. When I look at him I see a hurt child and it breaks my heart.

"Stop putting your head down, they want to see you like this.. stop it Zabi. You have to be strong so you can see Nobia, ok?"

He nodded and wiped his tears, I pulled him into a hug.. trying not to shed a tear myself. The way they treat him is unfair, but mark my words whoever did this will pay..

-

-

I had just finished helping June bug get ready for bed.. it was definitely hard but some one has to do it. He was sitting on the couch watching kid shows, then he'd switch over to a different channel and watch old black and white films.