Chapter 2

Zanobia

I sat on the window ledge and kicked the grass, my room is on the first floor so I tend to sit here on days like this. I was using this time to write in my notebook. The devil locked me in my room because he didn't like my behavior the other day.

He's so stupid because I could just leave through my window, I just choose not to. Every so often I would look up and observe my surroundings. Of course the other kids were running freely down the street.

I felt the bass of a car coming closer, causing me to look up. That's nothing new, the loud music accompanied with the deep bass that vibrated the streets. The blue jaguar, shined in the sun. I mentally complimented the beauty of the car.

I had never seen that type of car around here before. I looked back down uninterested in who was behind the wheel. I was finishing up my letter for today when Surge came up to the window. I kept my head down and closed my book, putting it back inside the box.

Surge is a pretty cool guy that I see often, he talks to me often.. but I'm not a very social person.

"Why do you always shut that book when someone comes around, what's in it?"

"Nothing that concerns you.."

"Why don't you ever come outside?"

I shrugged my shoulders and looked out at the guy who was now leaning on the jaguar. He was a very good looking person, he had milk chocolate skin..

"Zanobia"

"Yes?"

"I asked a question"

"Because I don't want to, there's nothing for me in these streets. I'd rather stay inside and write"

"What do you write?"

"What's with the questions?"

"I'm just trying to learn about you, your very different. Your a very beautiful girl, bad ass body. Just shy and not social at all.. why?"

"I'm focused on one thing and one thing only.. finding my dad, everything else is just a distraction"

He nodded and followed my eyes that were back on that guy. He was mysterious, he carried himself so much different then any man I've ever seen.

"I see someone has your attention, don't even bother.. he's bad news"

"Who is he?"

"Kidd, he's from around here.. you just never see him. He's discreet about his work, so when you see him there's a reason"

I began wondering just what that reason might have been.. was he here to hurt someone, collect money or simply just to show his face. I have never heard of Kidd before. The fact that he's well known, maybe just maybe he could help me in some way.

"Is he nice?"

"Nice? What are you a prissy spoiled girl from the suburbs? No one is nice around here, especially not Kidd"

"No I'm not prissy or spoiled.. I'm from the hood just like you. Don't be fooled by my tone of voice or my actions because you don't know me Surge"

He threw his hands up in surrender and laughed, that's just it.. no one takes me serious. He continued to talk, I ignored him until he got the hint and left.

I picked my book back up and finished jolting down the last part of my letter, now that he had left me alone.

Dear daddy,

Where are you? How come you haven't found your way over to this side of town. I need to know that your ok, it's been too long. For all I know you could be dead, I try not to think that way though. I've been working on a scrap book, using all the pictures I saved throughout the years we were together. I never have much time to write or work on it because Mr. Daveli is constantly on my back. Living here is hard.. I can't take it anymore. I have no life or freedom.. I'm hoping I get moved to the group home down the street. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I have to get away from this crazy house. I hope you think of me as much as I think of you. I love you June bug.

                          Sincerely Zanobia

I closed the book and placed it, in the box and slid it back under the bed. I took out the pictures of my dad and smiled. I miss him so much, a tear fell from my eye as I kissed the picture. I looked at the next one, he was being silly making funny faces. I laughed out loud, the guy by the jaguar looked up in search of where the laugh came from.

I continued to watch him until our eyes connected. He looked at me for a while then looked away. I sighed in relief, afraid that he would say something rude. Surge did say he wasn't nice, so to me that means your probably a mean, nasty person.

I placed the pictures back in the little envelope and put everything back the way it was supposed to be. I go to school online because I'm not aloud to attend public school. My seventeenth birthday is in a few months and so is my graduation.

That's a benefit of online schooling, early graduation. I'm not complaining, even though I'd rather be out searching for my dad then doing this stupid school work. I have really good grades, I keep up with my work so that I can gain a career at some point in my life.. once I graduate and go to college of course.

I shut my window and turned on the air conditioner and laid down. Soon the room started to get cool and my eyelids got heavy. I closed my eyes and started thinking about the things Surge said to me about Kidd.

I want to know more about this Kidd person.. like why he chose to do what he does. Where's his family, is he really how everyone sees him.  My mind was filled with so many unanswered questions.

I put those thoughts aside, wrapping myself up in the covers.. drifting off to sleep.