Chapter Thirty One

*Bucky's POV*

I crept along the edge of the forest, watching the workers come out of the building. They streamed out in one huge crowd, mumbling amongst themselves, and heading towards the dirt road. Once they started walking down that road, all with weapons in their hands and getting ready to attack, we snuck over to the building.

Cara typed in the passcode to get in and the door unlocked. Steve slid in first, in his Captain America attire, followed by Natasha, Tony, Me, Sarah, Sam and Cara. I still didn't know what to think about Cara. She seemed nice enough I guess, and she was being really helpful. It just made me curious as to why she would want to help us besides the fact that she hates Hydra. I mean it's not like she knows any of us.

We snuck in silently, and I looked around.

Straight ahead of us were hospital beds, and they all had a mutant or human experiment on them. I guessed that this is where they keep all the human mutations, because all the bigger mutations were kept upstairs, according to Cara.

Cara walked straight over to the beds, and Cap threw his shield to cover for her. He hit a couple agents and knocked them out, and then stood watch for more. We can't use guns yet, because for now they don't know we are here, and we are going to try and avoid getting noticed. The longer we avoid getting shot at, the faster we can get things done. We had agreed earlier that me and Steve will do most of the fighting and we'll let Natasha do her spy thing. Tony was going to hack into their computer system and put all their information on a flash drive, and Sam was going to keep watch from the skies if we needed him to. Sarah was going to be a lookout, and tell us anything she sees. Natasha, Stark and Sam hid in the shadows, keeping watch, while me, Steve and Cara got the mutants out. Sarah stayed with Natasha, and I glanced at her, giving her a reassuring smile. She smiled back.

Cara nudged a man on the nearest bed, and his eyes shot open. Once he laid eyes on Cara, though, he calmed down.

"Tom, are you alright?" Cara asked him. He nodded, moving his arms around. I noticed little flames were traveling along the surface of his skin, and I wondered how powerful these mutants were. If they turned against us, we could be in serious trouble.

"Yeah, I'm fine. They came in and drugged us all to sleep before a majority of them left. I'm not sure why, but that's why everyone is out cold." Tom told us. He glanced warily at Steve, and looked scared of me.

"Tom, we need your help. We are trying to defeat Hydra, and this is the biggest wing of Hydra that we've found so far, so we need all the help we can get to bring it down. Will you fight with us?" Cara asked him, and he thought for a moment. I wondered why Cara kept referring to herself as part of our group. Did she really want to help us that much?

"Ok. I'll help you guys fight, because I hate hydra as much as you. Let's wake up the others and see if they will help too." Tom replied, standing up and walking over to the next hospital bed.

Cara and Tom woke up all of the mutants, and convinced them to fight for us. There was a good thirty mutants in all, and twenty three of them wanted to help. The other seven were too weak to be of any assistance, so we helped them out of the building and into the woods, so they'd be safe.

Steve took hold of the situation, and instructed the mutants to stay where they were. Then Steve and I forged ahead, knocking out as many agents as we could as we searched through the building for any mutant that needed help.

We approached the end of the hallway, and found a thick iron door.

"Cara?" Steve called, and she came down the hallway. When she saw the door, her face darkened.

"We call that the black room. Any uncooperative mutants wind up in there, and that's where we believe the screams come from." Cara muttered, keeping her distance from the door.

"We need to see if anyone in there needs help. The whole point is to save any innocents, kill any agents of Hydra. So we are gonna have to go in there." I spoke up, and Steve nodded, agreeing with me. Cara sighed and stepped in front of us.

"Fine, but I'm going to go in first. It might help." She said. I looked at Steve and he shrugged.

Cara unlocked the door, and opened it slowly.

We stepped inside behind her, and we only saw a single girl inside the room.

She had blonde hair that flowed across her shoulders, and she was wearing torn up clothes. I guessed that she was wearing them when Hydra captured her. She was what most people would consider to be very beautiful, and she glanced up at us the instant the door opened. Her eyes were a startling bright blue, and she was very pale.

"What do you want?" The girl growled. She started to glow with a blue aura, and Cara put her hands up in surrender.

"We just want to help you. What's your name?" She asked the girl. Her eyes flicked over to me and Steve, and focused on me.

"Valerie." She spoke, her eyes still locked on me. I glared back. "And you are the Winter Soldier." She finished.

"Bucky. My name is Bucky." I growled. She smiled, as if she knew something I didn't, but didn't say anything.

"Look, we are trying to destroy Hydra. Will you help us?" Cara asked. The girl tore her eyes from me and glanced at Cara, seeming to silently consider her options. She must've deemed us a worthy ally.

"I'll help." She stated coolly. Cara nodded and gestured for her to follow as we walked out of the room. I could practically feel Valerie's eyes on me, and I wanted to know what her curiosity was about. I whipped around to face her.

"Why are you staring at me?!" I exclaimed, and her eyes widened in surprise. She struggled to find words for a brief second.

"I am staring, because I watched them brainwash you. I was there. And I wanted to see if there really is a way to remember things after having your memory wiped." Valerie told me, and my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What do you mean you watched me get wiped?"

"I was being held in the capital before this. I watched them wipe you, but I couldn't do anything. I'm sorry," she said sincerely. I frowned and turned, walking down the hall, and leaving everyone behind me. The last thing I want to talk about is getting my memory wiped.

I heard them follow me, and we were going to walk back into the main area, when Natasha, Sarah, Sam and Tony all came sprinting towards us.

"RUN!" Sarah screamed, and I looked behind them, my eyes widening in surprise. Several Hydra agents discovered we were here.

And they released a beast.

--

A.N.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 10.5K READS ILYSM!!!!

-Jordan💕