Flashback

Legolas and Elwen stared at each other for what felt like forever.Finaly Legolas broke the silence "With-with me?" mentaly begging her to ay she had cheated on him.

She nodded and her eyes welled "of course why would it be anyone but you?"

Another silence "And it's definatly dead"

Another nod.

Legolas was running out of question to ask that he already knew the answer to. "why didn't they check?" his voice rose in anger.

"Because I'm not married and I didn't tell them I could have been. I did not wish to shame you" her voice was wavouring on the edge if tears

"Elwen. Why did you do that?" Legolas made a mental note to strangle his father whenever they next met.

She didn't answer."Legolas. Don't. You have to check"

He paused for another long minuet. She was right there was not point prolonging the inevitable. And she might have been alright after all.

He tilted her head into the light and looked into her eyes.

Another long silence.

Elwen searched Legolas face for what he didn't want to tell her.

What he didn't want to tell himself.

She wasn't okay.

Almost certainly never would be.

Elwen was going to die.

And spend the rest of her life becomming less and like herself.

There was no cure.

Thranduil let them be wed after that.

But only because it would not be good to have Elwen wandering around alone and unstable.

Legolas took care of her willingly.

But wept through the night.

He volunteered for the Fellowship in the hope that Sauron's death would cure her.

And what did he come back to?