Chapter Two: Unexpected

The maid races across the room to where Legolas was standing, the complete opposite of her former silent and rather sullen self. She squealed and flung her arms around him "Legolas! Where have you been? I though you were dead! Why didn't you come back?"

Legolas laughed and kissed the top of her head "What are /you/ doing here, El? You never travel!"

She looked up at him "I had to know you were still alive" she smiled charmingly up at him. The fact the this was such a contrast to the saturnine (and probably drunk) manner she had been behaved before incouraged Aragorn to approach closer to them. That and the fact Legolas seemed to be closely associated with a very beautiful girl he had heard nothing about.

"You shouldn't have come" siad Legolas.The next thing he said as not quite the same tone and sounded slightly nervous "You can't travel"

Aragron decided to ignor this and walked closer to them grinning "Well, Legolas?"

"Well what?"

He laughed "Well, who is she? And why don't I know about her"

Now it was Legolas's turn to laugh " Elwen, this is my friend, Aragorn. Aragorn this is my wife, Elwen"

This stunned Aragorn "You have a wife! How have you manged to avoid saying a single word about her in more than a year?" He couldn't quite manage to miss the expression on Elwen's face when he said that.

He didn't like to see her upset somehow.

Legolas laughed again "I'm sure you just missed it Aragorn, why wouldn't I all about her? Although not /all/ of us brag insistently about the loves of our lives" Elwen stopped looking so upset at that and let Legolas steer her away.

Obviously there was no reason at all for Aragorn to find anything odd about this extchange and even less for him to spy on them. Which is by he didn't. However he couldn't help noticing them, although as he assured himself this wasn't spying. The party hadn't properly started yet and Arwen would kill him if she found out that he'd been talking to other women for some reason totally beyond him she didn't seem to trust him.

Legolas slid the wine glass out of Elwen's hand and deposited it on a table. She kept on talking to him in the same mannerCArwen had done when he had first returned Legolas was also speaking romantically. However Aragorn couldn't help but notice that didn't seem to be quite what he wanted to say. Legolas took Elwen's face in his hands and tilted it upwards underneath a lamp, he looked into her eyes like he was searching for something. Whatever he found didn't please him.

Elwen tried to object but Legolas just shook his head and walked away leaving her standing on her own again.

She found another jug of wine.