3. The Encounter with the guys

The Goonies: Act I

It is a drizzly Saturday morning. Greedy land developers, eager to expand their country club with the construction of a golf course, are pushing a foreclosure on all the houses in this part of Astoria, known as the Goondocks.

Michael Walsh, known to his family and friends as Mikey, is a teenage boy about thirteen. He is particularly depressed. With the inevitable foreclosure pending for Monday morning, he feels gloomy about his last weekend with his friends. Mikey is sitting by his bedroom window looking thought a telescope at the neighborhood. He is asthmatic and must rely on a Salbutimol inhaler to control the effects the cold damp air outside is having on him.

Mikey's older brother, Brandon Walsh, known to all his friends as Brand, is about sixteen, and has similar feelings about leaving. He tries to bury his feelings in his bench press, but also to hopefully impress his crush, Clarissa Devereux. Mikey's best friend Mouth's older sister.

Interior Bedroom, Walsh Residence

"Oh, bummer. Nothing exciting ever happens around here anyway. Who needs the Goondocks? Who needs this house? I can't wait to get outta here", says Mikey as he picks up a copy of MAD magazine and begins thumbing through it.

"Really?", asks Brand while he is benchpressing.

"Nah, I was just trying to delate myself. No, no...y'know, um, dic... dictate myself", says Mikey as he stutters a bit.

"That's delude yourself, dummy", corrects Brand while rolling his eyes.

"That's what I said", defends Mikey

Mikey then runs over towards Brand and jumps onto Brand's chest, pushing the weights down on top of Brand.

"Thanks, Brand", says Mikey.

"I know how you feel, wimp. I'm sure going to miss this place too", agreeing with his little brother.

Brand then pushes up hard on the weights, lifting Mikey at the same time. A knock is heard at the front door. Brand and Mikey leave the room.

Brand then throws Mikey aside. "Adopted wuss", he states insulting his brother while walking to get to the front door.

"Adopted wuss... I'm no adopted wuss. I'll kill you, Brand!", he shouts towards his brother. Brand on the other hand has a small smile on his face while he proceeds to walk to the door.

Walsh Living Room

Brand peers around the corner and sees Mouth through the glass door. Mouth is there combing his hair. He is wearing a black concert shirt for Prince: Purple Rain.

"Oh, it's Mouth", states Brand before he walks away from the door. He slouches in an armchair, stretching a spring-type chest exerciser. Mikey opens the screen door to let Mouth in.

"Hey, Meekey. Yo Mikey. Eh, Mikey, seen Adrian? Hey guys, what's going down?", asks Mouth as he rambles on while walking towards the couch and puts his foot up on the coffee table.

"Get your foot off the table, Mouth", Brand remarks.

"You got it. What's going down guys? Hey, what's the matter with you guys? Come on? What's the matter? What is this, a nuclear Saturday or something? Come on, guys. This is our last weekend together, last "Goonie" weekend. We got to be goin' out in style, crusin' the coast, sniffin' some lace, downin' some brews...but nooo. The one older brother had to go and screw it up, by flunking your driver's test?", states Mouth with a big smirk on his face.

Brand, clearly getting annoyed with the boy, takes a swing at him.

"I just don't know what to do with ya, kid. I mean I know my sister didn't do her test yet anyways, but still. I thought you'd at least be able to pass", he says with a sigh and shaking his head.