10. Bike rides and Troy the Jerk

Clarissa's POV

Clarissa's POV

Have you ever had one of those moments in life where you are just so happy that you can't stop smiling? That is exactly what is happening to me right now. I honestly can't believe that Brand and I almost kissed. It was interesting, a little bit nerve-wracking, and there was just a touch of awkwardness between us but it was nice, even though it kind of backfired...which is kind of my fault on that one. But, We now know how our feelings are, which is just fine by me.

I snapped out of my little bubble, before glancing at Brand. "How bout we go catch the boys?"

He looks over at me before nodding. "Yeah. My mom would kill me if she found out I let the dweeb out."

I let out a laugh. "You are not the only one in that boat mister. My mom would flip out on me. You do not  want to see that. Trust me."

"Alright then. Let's go catch them. Then afterwards, we can strangle the dorks."

I chuckled before clapping. "Great Idea! Let's go", I say as I grab his hand and lead the way to outside.

Third Person POV

On a street leading out of town, Mikey is checking the map. They are all riding their bikes, moving further up the coastal highway. Data has a Springsteen song playing on his ghetto blaster. The kids continue to look back. They pass the Hillside Country Club on their right.

Chunk points at the club, before looking at Data. "My dad tried to join there once, when he still had his job, but they wouldn't let us in."

"You kiddin'? They wouldn't let none of us in. That place is kinda' like the "Dairy Queen". They only got one flavour", Data responds.

**

Now late in the afternoon. The four boys have been out hunting for the three rock pattern described on the map. From the tourist map, Mikey knows of such a place that could fit the doubloon.

"That's where we're going. Right around this next curve is Gold Rock Beach. Three rocks, I know it. I've got a feeling about this one", states Mikey with confidence in his voice.

"You always have a feeling, Mikey. Every time you have a feeling you get us in trouble", replies Data.

"Get us in trouble? You're the one who always gets us in trouble, Double-oh Negative", Mikey remarks back.

"I'm James Bond - 007, not Double-oh Negative.", Data clarifies to the asthmatic boy.

Chunk then decides to pipes in. "You guys, I'm hungry. I know when my stomach growls there's trouble."

"Shut up, Chunk!", replies the rest of the guys.

Chunk is laboriously climbing a hill on his bike. "Hey, you make me go up this big hill, and you said, you said you'd give me a Twinkie. Now I'm gonna be late for dinner and my mom's gonna yell at me. And she's not gonna let me eat my dinner and she's gonna punish me. Ah, you guys, ah. Anybody got a candybar? Baby Ruth?"