CHAPTER FIVE

Chapter 05

- Mia White -

As I finished making the brownies, I heard the door open. I smiled when I felt familiar arms wrap around my waist. These little actions that Ace does give me hope that he actually might have feelings for me, but I somethings doubt it.

I mean, we're really close best friends. He could just be doing this in a friendly matter. "Have you and Jacob made peace yet?" I asked, cutting the brownies into squares.

"Nope. The only reason why we're not trying to kill each other is because we were on our phones the entire time," he answered, pulling me closer to his chest.

I blushed, and glad that he couldn't see because I covered my face with my hair. He continued to hug me until I told him to tell Jacob that the brownies were ready. He groaned, but went to tell him anyways while I went to the freezer grab the ice-cream. Brownies with ice-cream are my absolute favourite.

Jacob walked into the kitchen with Ace trailing behind him. "It smells so good!" Jacob exclaimed, grabbing a small plate and a few pieces of the brownies. I'm glad that he likes them. He thanked me for the dessert as he made his way back to the living room.

Ace and I grabbed some just as we heard the door open. I heard Mrs King's voice, and two unfamiliar ones that I assumed were Jacob's parents. They walked into the kitchen, and when Mrs King saw me, she embraced me in a tight hug.

"Mia! It's so nice to see you again. I haven't seen you in forever!"

"Mom, you saw her three days ago," Ace pointed out, and she scoffed.

"And you made your famous brownies!"

Mrs King treated me like I was her very own daughter. She was like a second mom. When my mom was busy with work, she made sure that I was well and that nothing bad happened to me. She usually tells Ace to take care of me, even if I tell her I can take care of myself, but she insisted.

"Everyone needed someone to take care of them," she said.

I was soon introduced to Mr and Mrs Daniels. They were very nice, and gave me compliments on my looks as well as the brownies I made, but I brushed them off. Sometimes, I don't like it when people compliment me, because it makes me feel like I have to compliment them back.

My mom texted me that I should head home soon, so I said my goodbyes to all of them. Ace offered to walk me home, and I didn't argue because even if I say no, he'll just do it anyways. We walked in comfortable silence, just enjoying one another's company. I love how I didn't have to fill every silence with Ace.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked as we neared my house.

"A bit," he replied. "You know, if you didn't come over, I would've murdered him."

"Ace, you don't even know him."

"I know he's a pain in the ass," he muttered, and I slapped his arm.

"Why do you hate him so much. He didn't even do anything."

Ace didn't answer but simply grab my hand. My heart beat faster and I tried my best to ignore. I really want to say that I like him, but I'm scared of rejection.

He walked me all the way until we stood at the front door. "I'll see you tomorrow," he said before kissing my forehead. I opened my door and watched him walk away before closing it.

Stupid heart.

x-X-x

The rest of the week went by in a flash, and we were back to reality. It's not that I hated school, I actually enjoyed it. What annoyed me were those few people who you really dislike are there and you have to see them. And I'm talking about Mindy.