Desperate Times

It had been a few months since Elizabeth's birth. Anne had recovered and was out of her lying in period and Elizabeth was thriving well. Still Henry didn't give any of them more than a glance.

Anne was angry at Henry for not talking to her or Elizabeth, she had carried his child and had received no thanks. Anne worried that Henry would never even look at his daughter who grew to be more like him each day, she was a strong child with the same dashing blue eyes that Anne had fallen in love with. Everyone at court remarked on the young princess's beauty whenever she was around the court. Anne decided that she would love Elizabeth on behalf of her father as well as herself, she wanted her little princess to grow up happy and feel welcome.

Henry and Anne slept in the same bed and Elizabeth's crib was in their chambers. However the atmosphere wasn't pleasant; Henry and Anne barely spoke and they went about their business in silence. This was until Anne had enough:

"I can't live like this anymore?" she sighed as she undressed for bed one night

"Like what?" Henry replied "Are my rooms not to your liking?"

Anne was surprised that Henry couldn't see the awkward tension that had bloomed between them "I can't live without speaking to my husband and feeling loved."

"I do love you Anne." Henry sighed "I just wish that the cradle held a son."

Anne was heartbroken "You have a daughter this time, but maybe a son could come too, we will never know if we never speak, let alone enjoy the nights we spend together."

Henry thought back to the curse that Mary had placed on Anne. He would never lift the curse if he and Anne never acted as husband and wife. "I will try to show you more love my darling" he said "And you are right, we could still have a son"

Anne added "But please accept Elizabeth, she is as much your child as she is mine."

Henry slowly walked over to the crib, he carefully pulled back the blankets to reveal a baby girl with auburn ringlets who giggled at the attention. He smiled at her and held out his finger which Elizabeth tried and failed to grab. Tears welled in Henry's eyes, Elizabeth was beautiful "My darling daughter. Princess Elizabeth." he muttered

"See" smiled Anne "I knew you'd like her. She will one day be the older sister to your son."

Henry lifted his head from Elizabeth's crib and smiled back at his wife. He left the crib and walked back to the bed where he climbed in and laid facing his wife. He bid Anne goodnight and as she fell asleep, he lay thinking about Mary's curse again. By morning he had his answer.

He decided to send Elizabeth off to a wet nurse so Anne could focus on having a son rather than petting Elizabeth. When Anne discovered that Henry had sent off Elizabeth, she was distressed "She's my baby. I want to nurse her." Anne sobbed

"It's best she is nursed by another. It is normal for a royal baby to be brought up by someone else." Henry tried to comfort her

"You sent her away, bring her back." moaned Anne

Henry knew this was true but said "My advisers suggested it, they said you can't see Elizabeth again until you have bore me a son. It is a harsh deal but one that is for the best."

"I can't see my daughter until I have bore you a son" Anne grimaced "That's not fair"

Henry tried to hide his smile. He had found a way to make Anne try to have a son "I know" he comforted "It is unfair, but I can't undo it."

Anne sobbed for a few more minutes then lifted her head and said though a bloodshot face "Then we must have a son immediately."

Henry was thrilled to help Anne with her suggestion and they soon rekindled their old passions. Sure enough, within only a few months of trying, Anne became pregnant again. Henry was thrilled but Anne wasn't happy. She spend most of her time praying with one hand on her bible the other on her growing child. She needed to have a boy.