Court

Mary and Anne rose early the next morning and dressed ready for their journey to Hampton Court. Anne wore the blue dress she had selected the previous night with a black pearl headdress. Mary wore an old yellow dress that Anne had made and but had been too skinny to fit into it. Both girls looked very different with their taste in clothing and appearance. Anne was determined to make a grand entrance whilst Mary wanted to be a humble servant.

Once all the trunks had been loaded onto the carriage roof, the family met outside the great walls of Hever castle to say their goodbyes. "Goodbye father" sniffed Mary as she hugged him through her tears "I'll miss you".

"I'll be visiting soon" He smiled in return.

Uncle Howard didn't offer an embrace but waved the young siblings off on their journey, promising to write and asking to hear any court gossip.

George opened the carriage door and offered his hand to help Mary up the step. Mary attempted to graciously take his hand but was pushed backwards by Anne who stormed into the carriage saying "Oh gosh Mary, we're not even there yet. Save the blooming airs and graces for the snobs at Court."

Mary seemed unaffected by Anne's taunting and stepped into the carriage- taking a seat opposite Anne. George climbed in last and sat next to Mary, swinging the door closed as he sat down.

"You will like Court once you get there." He joked at the solemn faces the sisters wore as they pulled out of Hever castle's gate.

Anne gave a disagreeing scoff but Mary smiled at her brother and questioned him about life in the Court. George and Mary chatted happily all the way to London, only being disturbed by the occasional sarcastic comment from Anne.

Soon they pulled up at Hampton Court and gazed out of the carriage windows at the huge building .Hampton Court was surrounded by large gardens and huge walls with a steel gate the height of the walls. Guards were posted at every entrance but people happily milled around inside. On the gate there was a large metal rose and and a matching pomegranate.

"What do those mean George?" asked Mary pointing at the strange gate.

George followed her finger and answered "That is the Tudor rose- the King's emblem- and the Spanish pomegranate for the Queen.

Mary was mesmerized by the two emblems standing proudly side by side but Anne joked "A falcon would look so much better than a silly pomegranate."

George rolled his eyes at Anne's comment. Of course his selfish sister would prefer her emblem on the gate. "And how would a falcon appear on the gate then Anne, do tell me?"

Mary thought that Anne had finally been outdone in her sarcasm, it had taken the whole journey but maybe she had met her match in George's sudden retort. However Mary was wrong and Anne had her usual quick tongue: "My falcon would eat that silly pomegranate and would be forced to take it's place in the gap."

George roared with laughter at his sisters joke, but calmed his chuckles when a footman arrived at the carriage door.

The carriage door opened and the sisters were helped out, leaving George to jump. They found themselves in a huge garden full of flowers and people wearing long dresses and smart cloaks. But something was strange, everyone was wearing black. The Boleyn's received strange looks as they crossed the courtyard in their colourful dresses, Anne looked straight ahead and regarded the looks with an air of superiority, whilst Mary looked at the ground, embarrassed at the fact they were clearly dressed inappropriately for the situation around court.

They were led up some steep stone steps and along long corridors, everywhere people were dressed in black. Eventually they were led into a huge room with high windows covered with red curtains. Tapestries covered the walls and two huge thrones stood in the middle of the room. On one throne there was nothing but a cushion and on the other was a man.