Chapter Thirty

"The midnight chills,

And gives cheap thrills,

The darkness is my friend,

I'll love you till my time runs out,

I'll love you till the end." - Bach's Revenge debut album, track 8

For someone confined to a hospital bed and who spent the day doing massive amounts of nothing, Charlie sure tired easily. Somewhere along the way, she'd lost a full day. How was that even possible? Her parents were only able to stay for an hour or so before she started nodding off and her mom insisted they leave to check into to the hotel.

Devin was furious; begging to return to the tour bus, but their mother was adamant in her decision and told Devin it wasn't open for discussion. After they'd left, Charlie closed her eyes, just to rest for a while and now it was morning again.

She pushed the button to sit the bed up and cringed. The wicked burning sensation of being shot remained, only it was localized to the incision they'd made. She groaned in complaint until her eyes settled on a familiar face.

"Robbie!"

Robbie stood, his smile a fraction of the size it usually was. "Hey there, beautiful."

"Where's Sebastian?"

"He had to run out for a meeting with management. He tried to put his foot down and tell them to forget it but Moody wasn't having it. I offered to stand guard," he added proudly.

"Thanks, Robbie."

Robbie gave an impish smile "Watching you is hard work but someone's gotta do it." He walked over to the chair and pulled it across the room to sit next to her bed.

"You alright?" Charlie asked.

Robbie looked up, "Huh? Course. M'good."

"Tally okay?"

"Yep. Tal's good. She's with your parents and Devin."

Charlie nodded. "Oh."

The silence that followed was awkward. Not only that, but being quiet was uncharacteristic for Robbie. He looked like he hadn't slept much but there was something else that she couldn't pinpoint. She squinted and examined him further. He wasn't angry, he wasn't sad, he definitely wasn't his carefree self... he looked stressed. Again not a trait she'd associate with him.

"You're worried!" she pointed her finger at him, mentally patting herself on the back for solving the Robbie puzzle. "You're worried about something."

"I'm fine. So," he said, changing the subject. "Lane is gay. That's crazy, huh?"

Charlie smiled. No way was he going to distract her. "I don't think it's crazy at all. Gay, straight or in between, Lane is awesome."

"Yep," he replied. "He kinda is."

"So are you going to spit it out, Robbie Hawthorne?"

Robbie shook his head, "no idea what you're talking about."

"You are a terrible liar. What is bothering you?"

"God you're such a girl," he said, giving her an exaggerated eye roll. "You just won't give up on pressing for details. I'm worried," he admitted, "about how all of this is going to end."

"You guys will go back on tour, and it will end up just fine," she said confidently.

Robbie shook his head. "Sebastian is going to cancel the tour."