Chapter Three

"I'll love you till the end of time,  

Until my heart stops beating, 

I'll shelter you from any storm,  

Until my breath stops breathing"                                                 

- Bach's Revenge debut album, track 2 

He peered through the curtain to watch the two final acts. They were good, no doubt  about it, but not good enough. Sawyer busied himself with a mirror, ensuring his hair  was spiked in his signature hairdo, that his sleeves were rolled three times each to the  exact bend in his arm, showcasing the ink he'd spent several painful hours to acquire.  

He held firm to the belief that there were no second chances to make a first impression.  

It was like the clock stopped. The tension backstage stretched across the air, a  hundred times worse than it'd been out front, when they were doing their thing.  Sebastian wanted to win or lose and forget all about how they played the game.  

Once Sawyer finished admiring his reflection, he walked over. "Nice work,  telling Charlie and stuff. Couldn't pay me enough to do some crazy shit like that." He  slapped Sebastian's shoulder. "Good for you though man, I hope it works out."  

Sebastian swallowed hard. "Yeah. Me too."  

"That was intense," Robbie approached, weaving his drumstick through his fingers like a baton twirler.  

Sawyer let out a laugh. "Yeah, man. That was crazy. Where's Lane?"  

"In the washroom I think."  

"He's gone all girl," Sawyer muttered. "Heshe has five minutes to show or I'm  gonna go in there and drag her out, kicking and screaming." 

"Forget Lane," Robbie said, "I don't think Seabass is doing so hot."  

Sawyer squinted at Sebastian, trying to determine if Robbie's observation was  accurate. "Hey, you alright man?" 

"Fine." His response held no conviction whatsoever.  

Sawyer turned to Robbie. "He says he's fine."  

"Dude," Robbie pointed at Sebastian with a drumstick instead of a finger. "Look  at the guy, he's gonna hurl."  

"I'm fine!" Sebastian snapped. "It's fine."  

Sawyer held up his hands, indicative of surrender. "Okay man, we were just  askin'."  

The look on Charlie's face during his song was stuck in his head as if he was  looking at a snapshot of the moment. He couldn't tell if she was shocked and repulsed  or shocked and awed. He made the sign of the cross and prayed that it was the latter.  

They called on the contestants, who filed out onto stage like they were about to  meet a firing squad. Spin made some stupid remarks, trying to build on the intensity of  the entire situation but the audience was so tweaked, if he didn't make with the results  soon, he was going to have a riot on his hands. Finally, Marley started to peel away the  backing to the results envelope. 

"And the winner of Real Media Zip 90 Pacific FM's 'Battle of the Bands' is," she  paused for drama and Sebastian clenched his fists. "Bach's Revenge!"  

The way the words exited her mouth in slow motion and he heard her only from a distance. Lane's gaped like a chick that saw a fifty percent off sale at the mall, Robbie's  cheekbones looked to be on the receiving end of a facelift with how big his smile was  and the side of Sawyer's lip curled up in the biggest smile Sebastian had ever seen him  give. Sebastian still had some serious nerve damage.