Chapter Eleven

"Does he whisper to you in the dark?

Does he touch you like he should?

Does he know you are my destiny?

Does he treat you like I would?" - Bach's Revenge debut album, track 6

He couldn't believe it. Lance didn't tell him they'd be on this kind of plane. Sebastian tried hard to hide the ear to ear grin he had. He thought about pinching himself. In a matter of days, he'd landed a record deal, got the girl of his dreams and was now flying on Moody Records private jet to Los Angeles. This shit didn't actually happen to people, did it?

Robbie was slumped on the leather recliner across from him, eyes closed, iPod in his ears tapping his drumstick in time with whatever it was he was listening to. Lane was playing some video game on his PSP and Sawyer was making eyes at the flight attendant who'd just brought them drinks. When she retreated to the front of the plane, Seb turned to his friend.

"You like her," he said.

Sawyer smirked. "Nah. Like's too strong a word. She's just hot."

Seb nodded.

"What'chu lookin' at me like that for?" Sawyer accused.

"Looking at you like what for?"

"Like you feel sorry for me or some shit."

Sebastian shrugged. "I don't feel sorry for you. You got a crap deck of cards in life. Make the best of it."

Sawyer sipped his ginger ale. "I do."

"I know," Sebastian agreed. "I know you do."

Sawyer cocked his head to the right. "Then why do you keep lookin' at me like that?"

"I just think you need to be more willing to experience things."

Sawyer's eyes moved in a perfect roll. The same kind Charlie often did. "Seriously? We going to start this? Cause no offense, but I don't need to be shrinked. Especially by someone juggling two chicks."

"I'm not trying to shrink you. But there is a lot more to girls than just sex," Sebastian said. "You might want to look into that sometime."

Sawyer extended a finger. "Did you tell McKenzie that, Seabass? I realize you aren't the chicks' biggest fan, and neither am I, but the minute Charlie rejected you, you ran to her, so no offense, but you are the last person on the planet who should be giving me advice on how to deal with females."

Sebastian cringed. "I was just saying."

"Well say it quietly," Sawyer said. "Besides, what the hell would you know about it?"

"I know I love somebody," Sebastian said.

"Yeah. Your former best friend. Believe it or not, I got the memo. But holy hell now you've got yourself a fucking handful, or two, yeah?"

Sebastian grimaced. "Watch yourself."

Sawyer grinned, apparently up for the challenge of whether or not he'd actually watch himself. "That's it? That's your defense? Watch myself. No, buddy, I think you better be the one to watch yourself. Your little girly may not be too happy to find out you bumped uglies with her enemy."

"She's not going to find out."

"Right," Sawyer said. "If you don't think for one second, McKenzie Johnson isn't going to go around bragging that she had you," he brought his glass to his lips and took another swig. "You need to think again." Sawyer's eyes locked with Sebastian's. "Truth hurts, but it is what it is, yeah?"